Posted: 8/17/2010 2:38:57 PM
From the Desk of the Executive Director - Theresa Wrangham
“The door to opportunity is always labeled “push”. – Unknown
We agree! NVIC has always pushed and explored many avenues and opportunities to protect your right to make voluntary informed vaccine decisions. As the oldest and largest consumer organization advocating the institution of vaccine safety and informed consent protections, NVIC is proud to announce recent updates to the Vaccine Ingredients Calculator (VIC).
Just in time for going back to school, this powerful tool has been updated with the most current information available on vaccines recommended by the Centers for Disease Control for 2010/2011. This “push” adds to your ability to plan a vaccine choice based on available ingredient calculation information and is featured on our homepage. Features include:
- Built-in safety protections notifying the user of invalid vaccine combinations and appropriate age-based vaccine use;
- Graphs comparing vaccine ingredients to federally established safe exposure levels (when available);
- New links to ingredient information resources;
- A growing library of video tutorials on using the VIC;
- Calculates exposures to aluminum, bovine protein, egg protein, formaldehyde, mercury (Thimerosal), mouse protein, phenol red, phenoxyethanol, Polysorbate 80 and yeast protein;
- Vaccination Plan printout to assist in parent/physician dialogue.
The database that drives the VIC is built from information contained in vaccine manufacturer package inserts posted on the Food and Drug Administration’s website. The VIC is a free, public, open source project created and maintained by Chris Downey and already enjoysuse by an enthusiastic and diverse group committed to vaccine safety that range from PhD’s who explain the chemistry of ingredients, to busy moms who help test the VIC.
We can’t do this alone and there is always room for improvement! Chris would love to hear your ideas on what new features you would like to see and could also use some assistance from software and database developers, as well as beta testers. If you have a suggestion, or would be willing to help develop future releases of the VIC, please email VaccineCalc@gmail.com.
Future improvements of the VIC currently under consideration are:
- Enhancement of the Vaccination Plan printout to include injection site;
- Addition of more vaccine ingredients (until all are included);
- Bovine protein source;
- Red-flagging ingredient combinations whose potential toxicity is unknown, such as Thimerosal (mercury) and aluminum
We encourage all our readers to include this valuable tool prior to any vaccination decision to better understand what is known and unknown about vaccine ingredients and safe exposure levels.
Posted: 8/17/2010 2:38:57 PM | with 5 comments