Posted Date: May 05, 2015
Quick Facts and Resources for Utah Residents
Quick Fact: Submit an exemption form available from the local health department, stating that the person has either a personal belief opposed to immunizations, or is a bona fide member of a specified, recognized religious organization whose teachings are contrary to immunizations. The exemption form is to be signed by a parent or guardian and witnessed by the local health officer or his designee. Medical exemptions are also allowed.
Other Resources: Many vaccination and exemption information links are date specific. If the links below have expired, click on the state's department of health, or immunization program link provided below, as they are likely to provide links to updated information. The General Information link leads to the overview page provided by the state at the time of this webpage's update and may also be helpful. Please email NVIC with broken link information.
K-12 School Information
Other State Resources
The information contained on NVIC's web pages is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be medical or legal advice. Those seeking medical or legal advice should obtain the services of a competent attorney, physician or qualified health care professional. Although NVIC continually updates our website, state laws and rules change frequently and consumers are ultimately responsible for verifying their state's vaccination and exemption laws and requirements.
« Back to Exemptions Main Page - All States
Code Ann. § 53A-11-301. Certificate of Immunization required.
(1) Unless exempted for personal, medical, or religious objections as provided in Section 53A-11-302, a student may not attend a public, private, or parochial kindergarten, elementary, or secondary school through grade 12, nursery school, licensed day care center, child care facility, family care home, or headstart program in this state unless there is presented to the appropriate official of the school a certificate of immunization from a licensed physician or authorized representative of the state or local health department stating that the student has received immunization against communicable diseases as required by rules adopted under Section 53A-11-303.
(2) School districts may not receive weighted pupil unit monies for a student unless the student has obtained a certificate of immunization under this section or qualifies for conditional enrollment or an exemption from immunization under Section 53A-11-302.
Utah Code Ann. § 53A-11-302. Immunizations required -- Exceptions -- Grounds for exemption from required immunizations
(1) A student may not enter school without a certificate of immunization, except as provided in this section.
(2) Except as provided in Section 53A-1-1001, a student who at the time of school enrollment has not been completely immunized against each specified disease may attend school under a conditional enrollment if the student has received one dose of each specified vaccine prior to enrollment.
(3) A student is exempt from receiving the required immunizations if there is presented to the appropriate official of the school one or more of the following:
(a) a certificate from a licensed physician stating that due to the physical condition of the student one or more specified immunizations would endanger the student's life or health;
(b) A completed form obtained at the local health department where the student resides, providing:
(i) the information required under Subsection 53A-11-302.5(1); and
(ii) a statement that the person has a personal belief opposed to immunizations, which is signed by one of the individuals listed in Subsection 53A-11-302(3)(c) and witnessed by the local health officer or his designee; or
(c) a statement that the person is a bona fide member of a specified, recognized religious organization whose teachings are contrary to immunizations, signed by one of the following persons:
(i) one of the student's parents;
(ii) the student's guardian;
(iii) a legal age brother or sister of a student who has no parent or guardian; or
(iv) the student, if of legal age.
Utah Code Ann. § 53A-11-302.5. Personal belief immunization exemption
(1) The Department of Health shall provide to all local health departments a form to be used by persons claiming an exemption from immunization requirements based on a personal belief opposed to immunization. The form shall include a statement printed on the form and drafted by the Department of Health stating the department's position regarding the benefits of immunization. The form shall require, at a minimum:
(a) a statement claiming exemption from immunizations required under Section 53A-11-302, signed by a person listed under Subsection 53A-11-302(3)(c);
(b) the name and address of the person who signs the form;
(c) the name of the student exempted from immunizations; and
(d) the school at which the student is enrolling.
(a) The Department of Health shall provide these forms to the local health departments.
(b) Local health departments shall make the forms available to the public upon request.
(a) A student enrolling in a school and who claims exemption from immunizations based on a personal belief shall complete the form described in Subsection (1) and provide it to the school officials at the school in which the student is enrolling.
(b) Students who prior to July 1, 1992, claimed an exemption from immunizations based on personal beliefs shall prior to December 1, 1992, complete the form described in Subsection (1) and provide it to the appropriate official of the school the student attends.