Posted: 6/22/2009 1:26:51 PM
by Barbara Loe Fisher
The summer will be over before we know it and it will be time for the school year to begin. This fall, many parents are wondering what will happen to their children when they enter the schools. Some public health doctors want to turn schools into vaccination clinics where children will be the first to be injected with experimental swine flu vaccines1
Less Than 50,000 Swine Flu Cases Worldwide
Every day we are being warned by doctors at the World Health Organization and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control to worry a lot about the H1N1 influenza A virus, which was first identified in Mexico in April 2009 and is being called the new swine flu. As of June 15, 2009, the World Health Organization states that 76 countries have reported more than 35,000 cases, including 163 deaths. 108 of those deaths have occurred in Mexico2.
We are being told that nearly 18,000 Americans have gotten sick from the new swine flu virus, with about 5 percent being hospitalized and 45 dying3. It looks like people, who are in poor health to begin with are at greater risk of having complications and dying from the new swine flu, which has symptoms just like regular influenza4,5. This is not surprising because people in poor health are always at greater risk of having complications and dying from infectious disease.
Most Flu-Like Illness Not True Influenza
What a lot of people don’t know is that true type A or type B influenza only causes about 20 percent of all flu-like symptoms that people experience during any given flu season6. 80 percent of all flu-like illness in a normal flu season is NOT caused by the type A and B strains of influenza contained in annual flu shots. And vaccine acquired immunity is temporary, while immunity gained after recovering from influenza is longer lasting7,8.
1968 Flu Pandemic Killed 34,000 Americans
The new type A H1N1 influenza virus public health doctors say is making people sick around the world is an unusual combination of human, bird and pig viruses9. Nobody seems to know exactly how this new virus was created and why it suddenly emerged from Mexico in mid-April - or if it will behave like past pandemic influenza viruses that caused 68,000 American deaths in 1957 and killed 34,000 Americans in 196810. (The CDC states that 36,000 Americans die from influenza complications annually, with most of those deaths occurring in the elderly and those in poor health). Influenza pandemics usually start with mild symptoms and progress to more severe symptoms before populations acquire immunity to the virus and it dies out.
Older Americans May Have Antibodies Against Swine Flu
The good news about the new swine flu going around is that there are signs those of us born before 1957, may be naturally protected and at LOWER risk of being infected11,12. Why? Because we recovered from influenza caused by similar influenza strains that circulated in past decades and have long lasting antibodies that help us resist infection. So the aging baby boomers have something to be happy about.
Vaccinated Children Don’t Have Natural Antibodies
But will health officials allow our children and grandchildren to get those same kind of natural protective antibodies to type A and B influenza, including this new swine flu? It doesn’t look like it. First, doctors in America have been insisting for the past few years that every child from six months old to age 18 must get an annual flu shot13. Second, there are now calls by U.S. health officials to give American children the first doses of experimental swine flu vaccines in the school setting14.
WHO Declares Phase 6 Alert; Public Health Doctors Exercise EUA
This is because the response by doctors at the World Health Organization, who immediately went into high gear within days of identifying the new swine flu virus emerging out of Mexico, was to declare a public health emergency. Now, they have increased the pandemic flu fear alert to Phase 615, which is the equivalent of the U.S. Homeland Security’s Code Red warning of an imminent terrorist attack16. Doctors at the Centers for Disease Control, who followed the lead of the World Health Organization, have done the same and are exercising unprecedented power that Congress handed over to them after 9-11.
Fast Tracking of Experimental Vaccines With Novel Adjuvants
Whenever the CDC declares a public health emergency, that declaration allows the Food and Drug Administration to permit emergency use authorization for drug companies to fast track creation of experimental drugs and vaccines that do not have to be tested as thoroughly as vaccines that go through the normal FDA licensing process17. In this case, Congress responded to the public health emergency declaration by giving a group of drug companies one billion dollars18 to fast track experimental swine flu vaccines that may include whole live19, killed or genetically engineered human and animal influenza viruses, chemicals, and potentially reactive oil based adjuvants that manipulate the immune system to boost the vaccine’s potency20,21,22.
States Enact Stronger Quarantine & No Free Assembly Laws
In some states, like Massachusetts, public health doctors have persuaded legislators to quickly pass pandemic influenza legislation that will allow state officials to enter the homes and businesses without the approval of occupants; to investigate and quarantine individuals without their consent; to require licensed health care providers to give citizens vaccines and to ban the free assembly of citizens in the state23,24.
What Can You Do?
What does this declaration of a public health emergency in the U.S. mean for you and your family? It means that, right now, you need to become educated about vaccination, influenza, vaccine risks, and the public health laws in your state. You need to find out what your rights and options are under new public health laws that may require you and your children to get vaccinated or be quarantined25.
Take Action Now
Go to www.NVIC.org and learn more. Register now to attend the Fourth International Public Conference on Vaccination Oct. 2-4, 2009 in Washington, D.C. and help organize in your state to protect your right to informed consent to vaccination. Call and write the state legislators you elected to make public health laws that govern you and your family. Make your voice heard.
Homeland Security, Department of Defense & CDC
As Department of Homeland Security officials are declaring that any disease outbreak is a matter of homeland security26,27; as Department of Defense officials are defining public demonstrations as “low level terrorism;”28 as CDC officials make plans to re-route airplanes to designated airports with quarantine centers to screen all passengers for signs of swine flu29; and as fast tracked experimental pandemic flu vaccines are being created to be given to American children first, it is time for all of us – whether we are public health officials addressing what we believe is a true public health emergency or whether we are ordinary citizens simply trying to protect our health and the health of our children - to act in rational and responsible ways.
Protect Health Choices
Every pharmaceutical drug, including vaccines, carries a risk and those risks are greater for some than others. In this time of fear, we cannot let that fear take away our freedom to make voluntary health choices, including vaccine choices, so we have the power to make sure that the cure is not more dangerous than the disease.
- Neergaard, L. Associated Press: Kids may get swine flu shots first. June 16, 2009.http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090616/ap_on_he_me
- World Health Organization. Epidemic and Pandemic Alert and Response: Influenza A (H1N1), Situation Update and Maps. June 15, 2009 (Update 49). http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_06_15/en/index.html
- Centers for Disease Control. Novel H1N1 Flu Situation Update (June 12, 2009). http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/update.htm
- Discover Magazine. Risk factors for severe swine flu include lung ailments, pregnancy and obesity. May 20, 2009. http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2009/05/20/risk-factors-for-severe-swine-flu-include-lung-ailments-pregnancy-and-obesity/
- MMWR. Hospitalized patients with novel influenza A (H1N1) Virus Infection – California April-May 2009. May 22, 1999/58(19); 536-541. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5819a6.htm
- Fisher, BL. The Vaccine Reaction. Flu Vaccine: Missing the Mark. Spring 2005. https://www.nvic.org/Downloads/3770Reaction.aspx
- Wendelboe AM et al. Duration of immunity against pertussis after natural infection or vaccination. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2005. May; 24(5 Suppl): 558-61. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15876927
- Aaby P, Cisse B et al. Waning of vaccine-induced immunity: is it a problem in Africa? Am J Epidemiol: Vol. 149. No.4, 1999. http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/149/4/304.pdf
- CDC. Novel H1N1 Flu (Swine Flu) and You. June 16, 2009. http://www.cdc.gov/H1N1flu/qa.htm
- DHHS. NVPO: Pandemics and Pandemic Scares in the 20th Century. http://www.hhs.gov/nvpo/pandemics/flu3.htm
- Health Day News. Older adults may have some immunity to swine flu. May 20, 2009. http://news.health.com/2009/05/21/older-adults-may-have-some-immunity-swine-flu/
- MedHeadlines.com. Older people may be naturally safe from new swine flu. May 22, 2009. http://medheadlines.com/2009/05/22/older-people-may-be-naturally-safe-from-new-swine-flu/
- CDC. Children, the Flu and the Flu Vaccine. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/children.htm#vaccination
- Roth M. Pittsburg Post Gazette: Experts: vaccinate kids against H1N1 first. June 5, 2009.
- World Health Organization. Statement to media by Margaret Chan, M.D.: World now at the start of 2009 influenza pandemic. June 11, 2009. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/statements/2009/
- Department of Homeland Security. Homeland Security Advisory System. http://www.dhs.gov/xabout/laws/gc_1214508631313.shtm
- Barker T., Barrett P et al. The H1N1 Influenza (Swine Flu) Outbreak: HHS Emergency Authorities to Respond. Foley-Hoag. April 30, 2009. http://www.foleyhoag.com/en/NewsCenter/Publications/Alerts
- Shapiro L. Dotmed.com: Flu slowing down in most parts of U.S.; vaccine makers get $1 billion. May 27, 2009. http://www.dotmed.com/news/story/9198/
- Rosenwald MS. Medimmune wins key contract to develop swine flu vaccine. Washington Post. June 2, 2009. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/01/AR2009060101608.html?wprss=rss_nation
- Gaouette N. U.S. asks Glaxo, Novartis to start swine flu vaccine (Update 3). Bloomberg News. May 22, 2009. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601202&sid=acrQckr1NHLU
- Pharmafocus.com. Companies poised for swine flu vaccine drive. June 1, 2009. http://www.pharmafocus.com/cda/focusH/1,2109,21-0-0-0-focus_news_detail-0-492811,00.html
- Tritto E., Mosca F, DeGregorio E. Mechanism of Action of Vaccine adjuvants. ScienceDirect.com. February 5, 2009. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TD4-4VJ4B72-6&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C0000
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts. An Act Relative to Pandemic and Disaster Preparation and Response in the Commonwealth (Senate No. 2028).
- Associated Press. Mass senate approves pandemic flu prep bill. April 28, 2009. http://news.bostonherald.com/news/politicsview/2009_04_
- NVIC. Model State Health Emergency Powers Act. https://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/model-state-emergency-health-powers-act.aspx
- Department of Homeland Security. Press briefing on swine influenza with Department of Homeland Security, Centers for Disease Control and White House April 26, 2009. http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1240773850207.shtm
- Presentation by Dr. Asha George, Senior Professional Staff, Committee on Homeland Security (Democratic Majority), U.S. House of Representatives on Preventing Pandemic Outbreaks at the Promoting Healthy Lifestyles Conference sponsored by the Black and Hispanic Caucuses of State Legislators. June 13, 2009, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Oakland Tribune staff. Defense Department sees protests as terrorism. Contra Costa Times. June 15, 2009. http://www.contracostatimes.com/politics/ci_12589887
- Turnbell M, Powers S. MIA may be a quarantine site in pandemic. Miami Herald. June 10, 2009. http://www.miamiherald.com/business/story/1089929.html
Posted: 6/20/2009 7:58:55 PM
Today, we are launching a newly designed NVIC Vaccine News that will make it easier for you to quickly scan on your I-phone or computer bulleted headlines about our newsletter’s content. Then, with one click, you will be taken to www.NVIC.org for access to my entire written commentary that contains references with live links to original information sources. Most commentaries will also feature a video commentary option. Archives of past written and video commentaries will also be available in a searchable archive.
In the future, the NVIC Vaccine News will also feature smaller news item alerts as well as guest commentaries written by doctors, ethicists, constitutional law experts, health freedom advocates, journalists and others concerned about vaccine safety and protection of the informed consent ethic. This new newsletter format will also allow you to give us feedback on commentaries through a comment feedback mechanism.
As always, we will continue to document our facts and statements so you can have confidence in the accuracy of the information NVIC disseminates. Let me and our readers know what you think.
New & Improved NVIC.org
As many of you may have noticed, NVIC launched a newly designed website (www.NVIC.org) earlier this year. The new website design, technology and information features were made possible by a generous in-kind donation from Joe Mercola, D.O., a courageous, principled leader in the holistic health care movement in America.
We are still in the process of updating and creating new information about vaccines and diseases that focus on vaccine science, policy, law, ethics, economics and other vaccine-related topics. We are committed to making www.NVIC.org the most comprehensive consumer-operated vaccine information resource on the internet for citizens who are making informed vaccination choices. We welcome your input and suggestions.
Join In the Vaccine Conversation
We are entering a time when it will be important for all of us to stand up and be counted in the fight for health care freedom, including the freedom to make informed, voluntary vaccination decisions. The vaccine safety and informed consent movement, which was launched by parents of vaccine injured children in 1982, has raised public consciousness during the past three decades about the urgent need for dialogue about vaccination. The new NVIC Vaccine News is creating a community forum for a robust conversation about this critical health issue and we hope you will join in that conversation.
Yours in health and for freedom,
Barbara Loe Fisher
Co-founder & President
National Vaccine Information Center
Posted: 6/1/2009 11:23:03 PM
by Barbara Loe Fisher
As government-employed doctors and attorneys, along with drug company lobbyists, move to persuade legislators to deny citizens the legal right to make voluntary vaccine decisions, families in different states are working hard to raise public awareness about the need to protect the legal right to make informed, voluntary decisions about vaccination. Tomorrow, Tuesday, June 2 at 10:30 a.m., parents will rally at the Legislative Office Building in Albany, New York to protest proposed new vaccine mandates and support legislation protecting religious exemption and widening medical exemption. They are voicing opposition to a bill that would mandate HPV (Gardasil) vaccine for sixth graders and one that would allow state-designated vaccine providers to give children hepatitis B shots without the informed consent of their parents.
New York Rally for Vaccine Choice
Parent groups in New York have been working since the 1980's and 90's to protect vaccine exemptions. A New York high court ruled in 1987 that parents do not have to belong to an organized church or religion to receive a religious exemption to vaccination. However, that has not prevented New York state-appointed attorneys from grilling parents about their religious beliefs for the purpose of denying the religious exemption. For more information about the June 2 rally in Albany go to www.MyKidsMyChoice.com
Washington, D.C. Parents Challenge Gardasil Use Law
In Washington, D.C., members of the Parents and Citizens Committee to Stop Medical Experimentation in D.C. , a citizen health action group founded in 2007, testified in an April 9 D.C. City Council meeting about the HPV vaccine mandate requiring sixth grade girls to get three doses of Gardasil vaccine. Although there is currently an opt-out provision in the law, parents and health advocates are protesting the lack of vaccine risk information given to girls and parents prior to vaccination and the lack of public awareness that girls can opt-out of the HPV vaccine mandate.
New Jersey Parents for Conscientious Belief Exemption
In neighboring New Jersey, parent groups have been working since the 1980's and 90's on legislation to protect the freedom to make voluntary vaccine decisions. For the past decade, the citizen action group, New Jersey Alliance for Information Choice in Vaccination Choice (NJAICV) has been educating legislators about the need to enact a conscientious belief exemption bill. A newly formed coalition of organizations supporting vaccine choice in New Jersey has added support to the citizen-led vaccine education campaigns in a state which mandates more vaccinations for children than any other state (35 doses of 13 vaccines).
West Virginia Parents in Court to Protect Vaccine Injured Child's Life
Parents living in West Viginia and Mississippi, the two states which allow only a medical exemption written by an M.D. or D.O., continue to suffer discrimination in their struggle to obtain the legal right to file vaccine exemptions for sincerely held religious, conscientious or philosophical beliefs. A citizen action group, West Virginians for Vaccination Exemption, has been working for 10 years to obtain a religious and/or conscientious belief exemption to vaccination. Parents in that state are now going to court to defend their religious beliefs regarding vaccination, with one mother trying to protect her daughter, who regressed into autism after vaccination, from being forced to get more vaccines that could further damage her brain and immune system.
Mississippi Creates Anti-Discrimination Petition
In Mississippi, a recently formed parent support network, the Mississippi Vaccine Information Center, is working on legislation to end discrimination against unvaccinated and partially vaccinated children, whose parents are denied the right to non-medical vaccine exemptions in that state. The group has created a petition that endorses informed consent to vaccination and the inclusion of a religious and philosophical exemption in Mississippi state vaccine laws.
Vaccine Laws Should Protect At-Risk Populations
Doctors working with drug company reps are aggressively lobbying elected officials to pass laws forcing one-size-fits-all vaccine mandates on all children - even those who may be biologically at higher risk than others for suffering vaccine-induced brain and immune system dysfunction. Refusing to acknowledge biodiversity, doctors are clinging to the illogical and unscientific "coincidence" defense for the sole purpose of remaining in denial about vaccine risks. They are acting without conscience when they discriminate against and fail to protect individual children, particularly the already-vaccine injured, from further harm. Citizen activists working in states to insure that vaccine laws include respect for the informed consent principle are protecting both individual and public health.
NVIC's Oct. 2-4 Conference To Focus on Vaccine Choice
Speakers defending the human right to informed consent to vaccination will be featured at the Fourth International Public Conference on Vaccination sponsored by the National Vaccine Information Center October 2-4, 2009 at the Hyatt Regency Hotel (near Dulles Airport) in the Washington, D.C. area.
Scientists, pediatricians, bioethicists, legal experts, journalists and consumer advocates will be discussing the science, policy, law, and ethics of vaccination and the conference will feature advocacy training sessions to help attendees educate their legislators about vaccination.
The conference forum is being created for families and health care providers who want to defend vaccine freedom of choice and work in their communities to protect vaccine exemptions. For more information and to register for best rates before June 30, click here.
Click here to watch a video about NVIC's October Conference.
Click here to watch a video of 11-year old music prodigy Sam Debold, who is recovering from vaccine-associated regressive autism, playing the piano at Autism One. Sam is the son of NVIC's Director of Patient Safety, Vicky Debold, PhD, and Sam will be performing again in October at the banquet at NVIC's conference.