Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP)
This webpage provides information on how to file a vaccine injury claim, links and resources on vaccine injury compensation to aid those who believe that they have suffered a vaccine injury and to raise awareness of the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program.
NVIC's co-founders worked with Congress on the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986, which acknowledged that vaccine injuries and deaths are real and that the vaccine injured and their families should be financially supported and that vaccine safety protections were needed in the mass vaccination system.
The law preserved the right for vaccine injured persons to bring a lawsuit in the court system if federal compensation is denied or is not sufficient. By 2018, the U.S. Court of Claims had awarded nearly $4 billion dollars to vaccine victims for their catastrophic vaccine injuries, although two out of three applicants have been denied compensation.
We invite you to use the links below to understand the law, injury claims process and more.
Additional Vaccine Injury Compensation Resources
NVIC Statements on the VICP (1999-2018):
- Position of the National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC) on National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986
February 2018 Update by Barbara Loe Fisher,
- National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC) Renews Call for End to Product Liability Shield for Vaccine Manufacturers During 2016 Vaccine Awareness Week
Press Release, November 14, 2016
- Request for ACCV to Reconsider Encephalopathy Definition Recommendation Relating to the Vaccine Injury Table
Advisory Commission on Childhood Vaccines, August 27, 2014 by Barbara Loe Fisher and Theresa Wrangham
- NVIC Response on Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP) Review by GAO
June 11, 2014 by Barbara Loe Fisher, Kathi Williams and Theresa Wrangham
- National Vaccine Information Center Cites “Betrayal” of Consumers by U.S. Supreme Court Giving Total Liability Shield to Big Pharma - Feb. 23, 2011
Press Release, February 23, 2011
- The Vaccine Injury Compensation Program: A Failed Experiment in Tort Reform?
Advisory Commission on Childhood Vaccines, November 18, 2008 by Barbara Loe Fisher,
- Vaccine Safety Research Priorities: Engaging the Public.
National Vaccine Advisory Committee Vaccine Safety Working Group, April 11, 2008 by Barbara Loe Fisher,
- NVIC Asks For Simple Justice For Vaccine Injured Children
Press Release, September 27, 2001
- Compensating Vaccine Injuries: Are Reforms Needed?
Congressional Testimony, September 28, 1999
Media and Other Reports About the VICP: