Additional Bibliography of References
Manufacturer Product Information Inserts:
World Health Oganization
Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- CDC Notes From The Field: Mumps Outbreak in a Recently Vaccinated Population — Kosrae, Federated States of Micronesia, August–December, 2017 MMWR Feb. 1, 2019; 68(4);95–96
- CDC Notes from the Field: Mumps Outbreak Associated with Cheerleading Competitions — North Texas, December 2016–February 2017. MMWR 2018;67(36);1019–1020
- Bonwitt J, Kawakami V, Wharton A, et al. Notes from the Field: Absence of Asymptomatic Mumps Virus Shedding Among Vaccinated College Students During a Mumps Outbreak — Washington, February–June 2017. MMWR. 2017;66:1307-1308.
- Donahue M, Schneider A, Ukegbu U, et al. Complications of Mumps During a University Outbreak Among Students Who Had Received 2 Doses of Measles-Mumps-Rubella Vaccine — Iowa, July 2015–May 2016. MMWR. 2017;66(14):390-391.
- Albertson JP, Clegg WJ, Reid HD, et al. Mumps Outbreak at a University and Recommendation for a Third Dose of Measles-Mumps-Rubella Vaccine – Illinois, 2015-2016. MMWR. 2016;65(29):731-4.
- CDC. Mumps outbreak on a university campus—California, 2011. MMWR. 2012;61(48):986-9.
- CDC. Update: mumps outbreak — New York and New Jersey, June 2009–January 2010. MMWR. 2009;59(05):125-9.
- CDC. Mumps outbreak — New York, New Jersey, Quebec, 2009. MMWR. 2009;58(45):1270-4.
- CDC. Update: multistate outbreak of mumps — United States, January 1-May 2, 2006. MMWR. 2006;55(20):559-63.
- CDC. Mumps epidemic — Iowa, 2006. MMWR. 2006;55(13):366-8.
- CDC Press Briefing on Mumps Outbreak In the Midwest with Dr. Julie Gerberding, and Dr. Jane Seward - April 2006
- CDC. Mumps outbreak at a summer camp — New York, 2005. MMWR. 2006;55(07):175-7.
- CDC. Mumps epidemic — United Kingdom, 2004-2005. MMWR. 2006;55(07):173-5.
Selected Media Articles
- Fields VS, Safi H, Waters C et al. Mumps in a highly vaccinated Marshallese community in Arkansas, USA: an outbreak report. Lancet Infect Dis. 2019 Feb;19(2):185-192
- Veneti L, Borgen K, Borge KS et al. Large outbreak of mumps virus genotype G among vaccinated students in Norway, 2015 to 2016. Euro Surveill. 2018 Sep;23(38)
- Principi N, Esposito S. Mumps outbreaks: A problem in need of solutions. J Infect. 2018 Jun;76(6):503-506
- Lewnard JA, Grad, YH Vaccine waning and mumps re-emergence in the United States Sci Transl Med. 2018 Mar 21; 10(433): eaao5945.
- Fiebelkorn AP, Coleman LA, Belongia EA et al. Mumps antibody response in young adults after a third dose of measles-mumps-rubella vaccine. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2014 Oct 18;1(3):ofu094
- Nelson GE, Aguon A, Valencia E, et al. Epidemiology of a mumps outbreak in a highly vaccinated island population and use of a third dose of measles-mumps-rubella vaccine for outbreak control--Guam 2009 to 2010. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2013 Apr;32(4):374-80
- Choi KM. Reemergence of mumps. Korean J Pediatr. 2010 May; 53(5): 623–628.
- Anderson LJ, Seward JF. Mumps epidemiology and immunity: the anatomy of a modern epidemic. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2008 Oct;27(10 Suppl):S75-9.
- Asatryan A, Pool V, Chen RT, et al. Live attenuated measles and mumps viral strain-containing vaccines and hearing loss: Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), United States, 1990--2003. Vaccine. 2008 Feb 26;26(9):1166-72
- Dayan GH, Quinlisk MP, Parker AA et al. Recent resurgence of mumps in the United States. N Engl J Med. 2008 Apr 10;358(15):1580-9.
- Dayan GH, Rubin S Mumps outbreaks in vaccinated populations: are available mumps vaccines effective enough to prevent outbreaks? Clin. Infect. Dis. 2008; 47: 1458–1467
- Bakshi N, Lawson J, Hanson R, et al. Fatal Mumps Meningoencephalitis in a Child With Severe Combined Immunodeficiency After Bone Marrow Transplantation J Child Neurol. 1996. 11(2): 159-162
- Geier, MR., Geier DA. Pediatric MMR vaccination safety. Int Pediatr. 2003;18(2):203-208.
- Miller E, Goldacre M, Pugh S et al. Risk of aseptic meningitis after measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine in UK children. Lancet. 1993 Apr 17;341(8851):979-82.
- Nabe-Nielsen J, Walter B. Unilateral total deafness as a complication of the measles-mumps-rubella vaccination. Scand Audiol Suppl. 1988;30:69-70.
- Stewart BJ, Prabhu PU, Reports of sensorineural deafness after measles, mumps, and rubella immunisation. Arch Dis Child. 1993 Jul; 69(1): 153–154.
- Otten A, Helmke K, Stief T, et al. Mumps, mumps vaccination, islet cell antibodies and the first manifestation of diabetes mellitus type I. Behring Inst Mitt. 1984 Jul;(75):83-8.
- Poling JS, Frye RE, Shoffner J, et al. Developmental Regression and Mitochondrial Dysfunction in a Child With Autism J Child Neurol. 2006 Feb; 21(2): 170–172.
- Sinaniotis CA, Daskalopoulou E, Lapatsanis P, et al. Letter: Diabetes mellitus after mumps vaccination. Arch Dis Child. 1975 Sep; 50(9): 749–750.
- MacDonald SE, Dover DC, Simmonds KA, et al. Risk of febrile seizures after first dose of measles–mumps–rubella–varicella vaccine: a population-based cohort study. CMAJ. 2014 Aug 5; 186(11): 824–829.
- Ma SJ, Xiong YQ, Jiang LN et al. Risk of febrile seizure after measles-mumps-rubella-varicella vaccine: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Vaccine. 2015 Jul 17;33(31):3636-49
IMPORTANT NOTE: NVIC encourages you to become fully informed about Mumps and the Mumps vaccine by reading all sections in the Table of Contents, which contain many links and resources such as the manufacturer product information inserts, and to speak with one or more trusted health care professionals before making a vaccination decision for yourself or your child. This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice.
« Return to Mumps Table of Contents
« Return to Vaccines & Diseases Table of Contents