News & Media Reports
Welcome to our press room! We hope that you find the background information about NVIC helpful, as well as the recent news posted here and links to our news archives. To contact our organization regarding interviews or speaking engagements, please call us at 703-938-0342.
BRIEF BACKGROUND: The National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC) is a national charitable, non-profit organization founded in 1982 dedicated to reducing vaccine injury and deaths through public education. We support the availability of all preventive health care options, including vaccines, and the right of consumers to make educated, voluntary health care choices. NVIC also promotes and funds research to evaluate vaccine safety and effectiveness, as well as to identify factors which place individuals at high risk for suffering vaccine reactions; and monitors vaccine research, development, regulation, policy-making and legislation. NVIC has long been recognized as the leading consumer voice on vaccine safety concerns. To learn more about our mission and accomplishments, please visit our About Us page.
NVIC Recent Press Releases
Click Press Release Archives to read additional press releases.
- NVIC PRESS RELEASE: NVIC Calls for Repeal of 1986 National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act during 2015 Vaccine Awareness Week - “The 1986 National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act is a failed experiment in tort reform and should be repealed so vaccine manufacturers are held fully accountable in a civil court of law for product safety,” said NVIC co-founder and president Barbara Loe Fisher. NVIC co-founder and vice president Kathi Williams, added, “In good faith, parents of vaccine injured children worked with Congress on the 1986 National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act. Today, most children getting government mandated vaccines are denied vaccine injury compensation and the vaccine safety informing, reporting, recording and research provisions that NVIC secured in the law are not being enforced. The system is broken beyond repair.”
- NVIC PRESS RELEASE: NVIC Questions FDA Fast Tracking of Squalene Adjuvanted Flu Vaccine: During the Sept. 15, 2015 meeting of the FDA's advisory committee on vaccines, Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee (VRBPAC), the committee voted to fast-track licensure of the MF59 adjuvanted Fluad influenza vaccine. "Why does Fluad need to be fast tracked to licensure for the elderly without additional evidence? There is public concern that fast tracking Fluad is really about fast tracking MF59 to licensure so it can be added to lots of new vaccines targeting infants, pregnant women and every American without adequate evidence for safety or effectiveness.” stated NVIC's President and Cofounder, Barbara Loe Fisher. September 16, 2015.
- NVIC PRESS RELEASE: 21st Century Cures Act Eliminates Good Vaccine Safety Science: This proposed legislation is sailing through Congress and would provide people with life threatening conditions access to experimental drugs that may cure their condition. However, it will also negatively impact vaccine safety research. "Congress should not be greasing the skids to license experimental vaccines that government will recommend and legally require healthy children and adults to use. It is a prescription for disaster.” stated NVIC's President and Cofounder, Barbara Loe Fisher. July 22, 2015.
- NVIC PRESS RELEASE: New California Law Threatens Human and Civil Rights in America. Following the June 29, 2015 enactment by Governor Jerry Brown of a California law eliminating the legal right for parents enrolling children in school to exercise vaccine exemptions for religious and conscientious beliefs, the non-profit National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC) is urging citizens in every state to act to protect the human right to informed consent to medical risk taking in America. In violation of the California Constitution, the new law denies children the civil right to a school education unless they prove they have gotten multiple doses of 10 federally recommended vaccines or a medical doctor grants a medical vaccine exemption. July 1, 2015.
Click News & Media Coverage Archives to read additional media reports from earlier in the year.
- Florida officials are concerned about drop in number of kids getting vaccinated - As public health officials express concern about the number of parents who opt out of vaccines, NVIC’s co-founder and president, Barbara Loe Fisher stated that many parents opt out for religious reasons or out of concern. “Vaccines, like any pharmaceutical product, carry risks that can be greater for some people than others because we’re not all the same.” Fisher said some vaccines create terrible side effects, including convulsions and brain inflammation. In some cases, vaccines just don’t work, she said. Florida WFLA News Channel 8. Apr. 26, 2016.
- Bill To Require Registration Of Unvaccinated Children With State Fails – Colorado’s Health Department is forced to admit to exceeding their statutory authority to track school children with vaccine exemptions, while a bill they backed fails to make it out of Colorado’s House. NVIC’s executive director, Theresa Wrangham pointed out that, “It’s a data grab. They want to populate the vaccine registry and they want to know exactly who’s exempting from which vaccines, where they live and I think it’s a harassment technique,” and added, “This is misleading to parents and it’s drawing a line of discrimination against those who take these exemptions. It is their legal right to take an exemption and now we’re going to trick them into a registry and be tracked?” Shaun Boyd.CBS Denver 4. Apr. 25, 2016.
- Former media power player sounds alarm over vaccines – This in-depth article discusses the autism and vaccine controversy and cites NVIC’s Barbara Loe Fisher’s “warning that state legislatures across the country are moving quickly to pass bills backed by the pharmaceutical industry to restrict or remove personal/religious belief vaccine exemptions. She says, "Those embracing vaccine orthodoxy have a right to their beliefs, but they should not be given the legal right to persecute and punish fellow citizens refusing to convert. Tyranny by any other name is still tyranny." Renew America, Apr. 4, 2016.
- No clean hands - The proper disclosure of proper informed consent is questioned as the Philippine health department begins to vaccinate school children against Dengue Fever. At large reporter Jimenez-David reminds readers of the importance of informed consent and understanding vaccine effectiveness limitations and side effects and recommends NVIC’s Ask 8 guidelines as a resource for readers. Philippine Daily Inquirer. Apr. 4, 2016.
- Is there proof that vaccinations are harmful? Is anti-vaccination the way to go? – Informed consent, vaccine safety research deficits and more are explored in this investigative article. NVIC’s Barbara Loe Fisher is quoted as saying "The truth is, nobody knows how many vaccine victims there are in America, how many of the 1 in 6 learning disabled children; or the 1 in 9 with asthma; or the 1 in 100 who develop autism; or the 1 in 450 who become diabetic, can trace their chronic inflammation, disease and disability back to vaccine reactions that have been dismissed by public health officials and doctors for the past century as just "a coincidence.” Examiner.com . Mar. 20, 2016.