News & Media Reports
News & Media Coverage Archives Press Release Archives
Welcome to our press room! We hope that you find the background information about NVIC helpful, as well as the recent news posted here and links to our news archives. To contact our organization regarding interviews or speaking engagements, please call us at 703-938-0342.
BRIEF BACKGROUND: The National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC) is a national charitable, non-profit organization founded in 1982 dedicated to reducing vaccine injury and deaths through public education. We support the availability of all preventive health care options, including vaccines, and the right of consumers to make educated, voluntary health care choices. NVIC also promotes and funds research to evaluate vaccine safety and effectiveness, as well as to identify factors which place individuals at high risk for suffering vaccine reactions; and monitors vaccine research, development, regulation, policy-making and legislation. NVIC has long been recognized as the leading consumer voice on vaccine safety concerns. To learn more about our mission and accomplishments, please visit our About Us page.
NVIC Recent Press Releases
Click Press Release Archives to read additional press releases.
- NVIC PRESS RELEASE: National Vaccine Information Center Calls U.S. Proposal to Apprehend and Involuntarily Quarantine Travelers for Rashes and Cough A "Violation of Civil Liberties" - A Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM): Control of Communicable Diseases was published by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) on Aug. 15, 2016 to amend the federal public health law to allow health officials to take into custody and involuntarily quarantine travelers, who have symptoms of or have been exposed to someone with symptoms common to measles, chickenpox and a wide range of other communicable diseases. If the NPRM becomes law, it will affect American and non-American travelers entering the U.S. or traveling between states, particularly on commercial airlines and ships. The CDC is proposing to enlist commercial airline and other public transportation personnel to step up surveillance on and report “unwell” passengers with rashes, cough, diarrhea and other symptoms of illness. Read the NPRM and join over 1,500 individual who have made public comments about the CDC's attempt to gain police powers by adding your public comment here by October 14, 2016.
- NVIC PRESS RELEASE: NVIC Calls for Repeal of 1986 National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act during 2015 Vaccine Awareness Week - “The 1986 National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act is a failed experiment in tort reform and should be repealed so vaccine manufacturers are held fully accountable in a civil court of law for product safety,” said NVIC co-founder and president Barbara Loe Fisher. NVIC co-founder and vice president Kathi Williams, added, “In good faith, parents of vaccine injured children worked with Congress on the 1986 National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act. Today, most children getting government mandated vaccines are denied vaccine injury compensation and the vaccine safety informing, reporting, recording and research provisions that NVIC secured in the law are not being enforced. The system is broken beyond repair.”
- NVIC PRESS RELEASE: NVIC Questions FDA Fast Tracking of Squalene Adjuvanted Flu Vaccine: During the Sept. 15, 2015 meeting of the FDA's advisory committee on vaccines, Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee (VRBPAC), the committee voted to fast-track licensure of the MF59 adjuvanted Fluad influenza vaccine. "Why does Fluad need to be fast tracked to licensure for the elderly without additional evidence? There is public concern that fast tracking Fluad is really about fast tracking MF59 to licensure so it can be added to lots of new vaccines targeting infants, pregnant women and every American without adequate evidence for safety or effectiveness.” stated NVIC's President and Cofounder, Barbara Loe Fisher. September 16, 2015.
- NVIC PRESS RELEASE: 21st Century Cures Act Eliminates Good Vaccine Safety Science: This proposed legislation is sailing through Congress and would provide people with life threatening conditions access to experimental drugs that may cure their condition. However, it will also negatively impact vaccine safety research. "Congress should not be greasing the skids to license experimental vaccines that government will recommend and legally require healthy children and adults to use. It is a prescription for disaster.” stated NVIC's President and Cofounder, Barbara Loe Fisher. July 22, 2015.
- NVIC PRESS RELEASE: New California Law Threatens Human and Civil Rights in America. Following the June 29, 2015 enactment by Governor Jerry Brown of a California law eliminating the legal right for parents enrolling children in school to exercise vaccine exemptions for religious and conscientious beliefs, the non-profit National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC) is urging citizens in every state to act to protect the human right to informed consent to medical risk taking in America. In violation of the California Constitution, the new law denies children the civil right to a school education unless they prove they have gotten multiple doses of 10 federally recommended vaccines or a medical doctor grants a medical vaccine exemption. July 1, 2015.
Click News & Media Coverage Archives to read additional media reports from earlier in the year.
- States Make It Harder to Skip Vaccines. As state legislatures continue attempts to restrict vaccine choice, NVIC's co-founder Barbara Loe Fisher said parents should be able to decide whether their kids can be vaccinated. Fisher said, "Eliminating exemptions would mean that unvaccinated children in many states wouldn't be able to attend school." Valley News. May 29, 2016.
- PAC Mobilizes To Defend Vaccine Exemptions In Texas. Texas legislator Jason Villalba's bill to restrict vaccine exemptions is caught in the crosshairs of a local political action group seeking to unseat the Representative Villalba. Veteran Texan vaccine choice advocate and NVIC's Director of State Advocacy, Dawn Richardson noted that the vaccine choice movement continues to grow and that this new group is part of the new generation of vaccine choice advocates. She said, "In the political cycle, this is very much a one-issue determinant for who people sometimes choose to vote for. This something that is that strong for families. It is the health and well-being of their children." KERA News. Apr. 4, 2016.
- Child vaccination debate surges during VA's Legislature Joint Commission Meeting. A sea of red overwhelmed a meeting of the General Assembly's Joint Commission on Health Care on Wednesday after protesters came out in droves to oppose possible plans to restrict exemptions to otherwise mandatory immunizations for school-age children...The opponents of the failed bill - mostly wearing red in solidarity at Wednesday's meeting - consisted largely of mothers with infants, toddlers or adolescents. They were there not only to show their opposition but also to support Barbara Loe Fisher, president of the National Vaccine Information Center, a Sterling-based organization opposed to mandatory vaccinations..."Utilitarian health policies that force everyone to be treated the same are cruel and immoral," she said. Richmond Times Dispatch. Aug. 3, 2016.
- Va. Lawmakers Accept Public Comments on School Vaccine Law. The Virginia Department of Health recommends taking no action, meaning the commonwealth would keep current medical and religious exemptions in place. Kathi Williams and Vicky Pebsworth, Director of Research and Patient Safety for the National Vaccine Information Center, attended the Sept. 7, 2016 briefing. They say they were pleased with the outpouring of comments against changing the law. "Under some of the proposals that had been floated, he [son] and most of the rest of the other children that I know who have medical exemptions would've lost their medical exemptions, and I don't know what we would've done," NBC29. Sept. 7, 2016.
- CDC Recommends against Nasal Spray Flu Vaccine. The CDC's advisory committee voted not to recommend the nasal influenza vaccine, FluMist for the upcoming flu season due to poor effectiveness. NVIC's president and co-founder Barbara Loe Fisher said, "It is shocking that government health officials have devised a National Vaccine Plan that lobbies for every single American to get a flu shot from cradle to the grave before the real science is in. Putting vaccine policy before the science is bad public health policy. Conducting uncontrolled vaccine experiments on people, who have been taught to believe and trust government health policy and now are being forced to obey strict 'no exceptions' vaccine laws, has far reaching consequences." ProCon. Aug. 16, 2016.