- Human papillomavirus (HPV) infections are among the most commonly sexually transmitted infections, which can infect the genital areas, mouth or throat of women and men, and either have no symptoms or can cause genital warts;
- Out of more than 40 types of HPV that are sexually transmitted, about 15 HPV types are associated with cancer of the cervix and other genital cancers affecting women and men;
- HPV infection is experienced by the majority of sexually active women and men and is naturally cleared from the body within two years by more than 90 percent of those, who become infected. Antibodies to the HPV type, which caused the infection, remain in the body to help prevent future re-infection with that same HPV type;
- Rarely, HPV infection does not clear from the body naturally and the infection becomes chronic. Among high risk factor for chronic HPV infection are smoking, co-infection with herpes, Chlamydia or HIV; long term birth control use and multiple births;
- Women chronically infected with HPV for many years, who don’t get pre-cancerous cervical lesions promptly identified and treated, can develop cervical cancer and die. After Pap test screening became a routine part of health care for American women in the 1960’s, cervical cancer cases in the U.S. dropped 74 percent and continued Pap testing is recommended for women who receive HPV vaccines.
- In 2008, about 12,000 American women were diagnosed with cervical cancer there were about 4,000 related deaths reported. Less than 3% of the nearly 1.6M diagnosed cancer cases and more than 500,000 cancer deaths that occur in the U.S. annually involve chronic HPV infection-associated cervical or other genital cancers in women and men.
- There are two FDA approved HPV vaccines marketed in the U.S. to prevent HPV infection with several different types of HPV: Gardasil vaccine, which contains 2 of 15 HPV types most associated with cervical cancer and 2 HPV types associated with genital warts and is licensed for use by women and men; and Cervarix vaccine, which contains two HPV types most associated with cervical cancer, and is licensed for use only by women;
- Merck’s Gardasil vaccine was studied for less than 3 years in about 12,000 healthy girls and 14000 healthy boys under age 16 before it was licensed in 2006. Gardasil was not studied in children with health problems or in combination with all other vaccines routinely given to American adolescents. Clinical trials did not use a true placebo to study safety but compared Gardasil against the reactive aluminum adjuvant in Gardasil;
- After Gardasil was licensed and three doses recommended for 11-12 year old girls and teenagers, there were thousands of reports of sudden collapse with unconsciousness within 24 hours, seizures, muscle pain and weakness, disabling fatigue, Guillain Barre Syndrome (GBS), facial paralysis, brain inflammation, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, blood clots, optic neuritis, multiple sclerosis, strokes, heart and other serious health problems, including death, following receipt of Gardasil vaccine.
- GlaxoSmithKline’s Cervarix vaccine, which has been used in Europe since 2007 and was licensed in the U.S. in 2009, contains a potent AS04 adjuvant containing aluminum and MPL, which has never been used in U.S. vaccines. Cervarix was studied for less than 6 years in fewer than 1200 healthy girls under age15 and was not tested with a true placebo but was compared against Hepatitis A vaccine and other childhood vaccines that can cause serious reactions.
- Cervarix adverse event reports have been similar to Gardasil adverse event reports. As of August 2012, there have been a total of 26,304 reports made to the federal Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System (VAERS) associated with Gardasil or Cervarix vaccines, including 118 deaths.
NVIC “Quick Facts” is not a substitute for becoming fully informed about HPV and HPV vaccines. NVIC recommends consumers read the more complete information following the "Quick Facts", as well as the vaccine manufacturer product information inserts, and speak with one or more trusted health care professionals before making a vaccination decision for yourself or your child.
Food & Drug Administration (FDA)
Vaccine Reaction Symptoms & Ingredients
Our Ask 8, If You Vaccinate webpage contains vaccine reaction symptoms and more. Calculate vaccine ingredients for potential toxic exposures & print a vaccination plan with the Vaccine Ingredients Calculator.
Search for Vaccine Reactions
NVIC hosts MedAlerts, a powerful VAERS database search engine. MedAlerts examines symptoms, reactions, vaccines, dates, places, and more.
Reporting a Vaccine Reaction
Since 1982 NVIC has operated a Vaccine Reaction Registry, which has served as a watchdog on VAERS. Reporting vaccine reactions to VAERS is the law. If your doctor will not report a reaction, you have the right to report a suspected vaccine reaction to VAERS.VAERS is the law. If your doctor will not report a reaction, you have the right to report a suspected vaccine reaction to VAERS.
NVIC Referenced Commentaries on HPV Vaccine
Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
National Institute of Allergy & Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
Sign a Petition to Investigate Gardasil Risks
What Is HPV Infection?
Stories & Photos of Gardasil Vaccine Reactions
NVIC Press Releases and Special Reports on Gardasil Vaccine
- August 24, 2009: Gardasil & Swine Flu Vaccine: Inconvenient Truths
- July 14, 2009: Preventing Gardasil Injuries & Deaths - Commentary & VIDEO
- Feb. 9, 2009: Vaccine Risk Report Reveals More Serious Reaction Reports After Gardasil - NVIC press release & VIDEO
- Feb. 9, 2009: Gardasil vs. Menactra Risk Report (February 2009)
- October 24, 2008: NVIC Says Government Denies Gardasil Risks — NVIC press release and VIDEO
- August 15, 2007: NVIC Report/Analysis of Gardasil Vaccine Adverse Events Part III (Debold V, Downey C, Fisher B)
- August 15, 2007: Gardasil Vaccine Risks Increase With Other Vaccines — NVIC press release with live links to references
- February 21, 2007: NVIC Report/Analysis of Gardasil Vaccine Adverse Events Part II (Debold V, Fisher B) (2007)
- February 21, 2007: Vaccine Safety Group Releases GARDASIL Reaction Report — NVIC press release with live links to references
- February 1, 2007: NVIC Report/Analysis of Gardasil Vaccine Adverse Events (Debold V, Fisher B)
- February 1, 2007: Survey of GARDASIL Costs in Private Pediatricians Offices (January 2007)
- February 1, 2007: HPV Vaccine Mandates Risky and Expensive NVIC press release with live links to references — NVIC press release with live links to references
- June 27, 2006: Merck's GARDASIL Not Proven Safe for Little Girls NVIC — Press Release on GARDASIL aluminum content and clinical trials with live links to references
NVIC Statements on Gardasil Vaccine Risks
- Barbara Loe Fisher at Rally in Washington, D.C., March 8, 2007
- Letter to Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) of Centers for Disease Control (August 14, 2007)
TV Reports and Videos on Gardasil Vaccine
- August 19, 2009. CBS News.Gardasil Researcher Speaks Out:“Public Should Receive More Complete Warnings.”
- Feb. 6, 2009: CBS Evening News. Gardasil Vaccine Draws Concerns.
- November 29, 2008: FOX-TV NEWS — Is the HPV Vaccine Safe? Is HPV Vaccine as safe as they claim?
- November 11, 2008: MSNBC-TV News — Mom, Others Question Gardasil's Safety
- November 6, 2007: KATV-7 News — Mandating Gardasil for School Aged Girls
- October 24, 2008: Businesswire Video — NVIC Says Government Denies Gardasil Risks
- July 21, 2008: CBS-11 TV — Adverse Reactions Reported After Gardasil Shots
- July 7, 2008 (WUSA-TV) — Gardasil Vaccine Reaction Reports
- May 7, 2008: CBS-TV 4 (Miami) — HPV Scientist Speaks Out
- February 13, 2007: NBC-TV “Today Show” — Should HPV Vaccine Be Mandatory? Barbara Loe Fisher, NVIC President Debate
- February 8, 2007: News 8-TV( Austin) — Controversy Heats Up Over HPV Executive Order
- February 5, 2007: NBC-TV “Today Show” — HPV Vaccine Mandatory in Texas Dawn Richardson, PROVE President Debates
- 2007: HPV Vaccine Risk Video — 7 Minutes, Grindley Productions made for NVIC
30-minute radio interview by Peter Tucker on "Spectrum Today"
(WPFW - 89.3FM) on June 23, 2010 with Emily Tarsell, whose 21-year old daughter, Christine, died on June 23, 2008 after a series of Gardasil shots.
- “W.O.M.A.N….Redefining Woman” with Gina Cloud Contact Talk Radio Archives (scroll down the Archives).
- November 21, 2006: Barbara Loe Fisher talks about the cons of the new HPV vaccine with Gina (this interview was downloaded more than one million times on Contact Talk Radio)
- October 28, 2008: Barbara Loe Fisher talks with Gina Cloud on Contact Talk Radio about the hazards of the HPV and Menactra vaccines.
- February 22, 2007: WNYC Radio (NPR) — The Brian Lehrer Show “Healthy, Wealthy & Wise" - "Strange Bedfellows"
"At least 20 states are considering mandatory vaccination of young girls against the sexually transmitted virus that causes cervical cancer. But the backlash has been fast and furious--and has led to some unlikely alliances. Barbara Loe Fisher, co-founder and president of the National Vaccine Information Center, and Moira Gaul, director of women's and reproductive health at the Family Research Council, talk about their opposition to mandatory vaccination. Sheila Krumholz, executive director, Center for Responsive Politics, talks about the lobbying efforts and legislative influence of the pharmaceutical industry."
Selected Print Media Reports
- June 14, 2010 New Report Explores Gardasil Deaths
- May 2010: A License to Kill (part 1, part 2, part 3) by Mark Blaxill, Editor-at-Large for Age of Autism and a Director of SafeMinds. He is co-author with Dan Olmsted of the forthcoming book, The Age of Autism: Mercury, Medicine and a Man-Made Epidemic.
- August 19, 2009. Marketing HPV Vaccine: Implications for Adolescent Health and Medical Professionalism. JAMA, Rothman SM, Rothman DJ; Vol. 302, No. 7: pp.781-786.
- August 19, 2009. The Risks and Benefits of HPV Vaccination. JAMA, Haug C.; Vol. 302, No. 7: pp. 795-796.
- Postlicensure Safety Surveillance for Quadrivalent Human Papillomavirus Recombinant Vaccine.JAMA, Vol. 302, No.7: pp.750-757. Slade BA, Leidel L, Vellozzi C, Woo EJ et al
- July 4, 2009. Medical News Today. Cost-Effectiveness of HPV Vaccination in The Netherlands. April 13, 2009. AsiaOne.com. Singapore urges caution on cervical cancer shots.
- Feb. 28, 2009. Scoop Independent News (NZ). Vaccine Roll-Out Is Wrong Without Honest Advice.
- June 9, 2006. Daily News Central. FDA's OK of Cervical Cancer Vaccine May Spawn Multi-billion Dollar Market.
- January 16, 2009: Seattle Post Intelligencer — “Gardasil Vaccine for boys?” by Betsy Hart
- January 9, 2009: Wall Street Journal— “FDA Again Says No to Expanded Gardasil Use”
- January 5, 2009: CNBC-TV — “Merck Files for FDA Approval of Gardasil for Males”
- October 24, 2008: NY Daily News — “New Gardasil cervical cancer vaccination requirements for immigrants stirs controversy”
- October 17, 2008: Bloomberg News — “Merck Aims Gardasil to Women Least Likely to Benefit”
- August 21, 2008: New England Journal of Medicine — “Human Papillamovirus Vaccine – Reason for Caution”
- August 21, 2008: Wall Street Journal — “Study Questions Cost Effectiveness of Gardasil Cervical Cancer Vaccine”
- August 19, 2008: New York Times — “Drug Makers Push Leads to Cancer Vaccine’s Rise
- August 15, 2008: Holy Hormones Honey! – The Greatest Story Never Told: “Vaccinating Teens During Menstrual Phase May Increase Adverse Reactions”
- July 20, 2008: New York Post — “My Girl Died as ‘Guinea Pig’ for Gardasil”
- July 7, 2008: CBS-TV News — “Serious Questions About HPV Vaccine”
- July 6, 2008: New York Post — “Fed’s Warning Shot – Gardasil Cancer Vaccine Probed for Links to 18 Deaths”
- July 2, 2008: US News & World Report — “Is HPV Vaccine To Blame for Teen’s Paralysis?”
- June 30, 2006: Judicial Watch — “Judicial Watch Uncovers New FDA Records Detailing Ten New Deaths & 140 “Serious” Adverse Events Related to Gardasil.”
- June 19, 2008: Time Magazine — “Anti-Vaccine Activists vs. Gardasil”
- June 6, 2008: Dallas Morning News — “HPV Vaccine’s suspected side effects cause concern; CDC says drug is safe”
- December 6, 2007: Fox News — “28 Women Miscarry After Receiving HPV Vaccine Gardasil: FDA Says No Reason to Re-examine Approval.”
- December 4, 2007: MSNBC — “Merck Reaffirms 2007 Profit Outlook”
- November 14, 2007: InjuryBoard.com — “Did Gardasiil Vaccine Cause a 12-year old Girl’s Paralysis?”
- November 2, 2007: TheStreet.com — “Vaccines Give Merck Booster Shot.”
- October 29, 2007: The Canadian — “Harper government irresponsibly approves HPV vaccine that causes atrocious side effects for young girls, including cancer”
- October 1, 2008: Medical News Today — Prominent Scientist Warns of HPV Vaccine Dangers Source
- September 26, 2007: American Academy of Family Physicians — “CDC Investigates Reports of GBS Following HPV Immunization – No Changes in Currrent Recommendations”
- September 21, 2007: Bloomberg News — “Merck Vaccine Should Be Required, Global, Experts Say”
- September 7, 2007: AlterNet.org — “HPV Vaccine Flags Need for More Pap Tests.”
- August 27, 2007: Bloomberg News —“Oral-Sex Cancer Link Suggests Boys Need Merck Vaccine”
- May 23, 2007: The Record-Courier — Family Awaits News on Daughter’s Illness
- May 11, 2007: Sacramento Bee — Dan Walters Column
- May 10, 2007: San Francisco Chronicle — UCSF Doctors Warn on Wide Use of Cervical Cancer Vaccine
- April 19, 2007: Market Watch — “Merck posts 12% profit rise, affirms 2007 forecast”
- March 14, 2007: Fort Wayne Daily News — Researcher Blasts HPV Marketing
- March 3, 2007: Boston Globe — “VA set to Mandate Gardasil”
- March 2007: Alert Mind Publishing — “Merck, Gardasil & Coercion” by Barry A.
- February 26, 2007: Medical News Today — “Actions Taken on HPV Vaccine Proposals in Arkansas, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, South Dakota, Texas, Virginia”
- February 20, 2007: Bloomberg News — Merck Stops Campaign to Mandate Gardasil Vaccine Use
- February 11, 2007: Washington Post — Drugmaker Assists In Pushing for Mandate For HPV
- February 2, 2007: Bloomberg News — Merck Gets First U.S. Cancer-Shot Mandate, From Texas
- February 1, 2007: Washington Post— Letter to the Editor from Barbara Loe FIsher, “Risk, Racism and the HPV Vaccine”
- January 30, 2007: KSL News Radio — “Merck Lobbies States Over Cancer Vaccine”
- January 24, 2007: Washington Post — “Force Is Not the Only Way to administer a Vaccine” by Courtland Milloy
- January 10, 2007: Washington Post: — D.C. Bill Would Mandate Vaccine
- November 10, 2006: Medical News Today — “First Teen Vaccination Delivery Program in the Country Funded by Boston Celtics”
- October 18, 2006: Global Health Report.org — “Sanofi Pasteur Begins Selling Merck’s HPV Vaccine Gardasil in Six E.U. Countries”
- July 18, 2006: New York Times — “A New Vaccine for Girls, But Should It Be Compulsory?” by Roni Rabin.
- July 4, 2006: Medical News Today — “CDC Panel Recommends HPV Vaccine Gardasil for Girls Ages 11, 12, Recommends Coverage By Federal Program”
Selected Medical Literature Articles:
Gardasil Vaccine Product Manufacturer Insert
Merck & Co. 2008. Quadrivalent Human Papillomavirus Types 6,11,16,18) Recombinant Vaccine
Centers for Disease Control Information
Food and Drug Administration
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- PROVE (Parents Requesting Open Vaccine Education)