Explore FREE downloadable educational materials.
Read and report vaccine reactions, harassment and failures.
Bibliography & Resource Links
Manufacturer Product Information Inserts:
- GlaxoSmithKline Infanrix (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis combined)
- Sanofi Pasteur DAPTACEL (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis combined)
- GlaxoSmithKline Pediarix (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Hepatitis B, Inactivated Polio combined)
- GlaxoSmithKline KINRIX (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Inactivated Polio combined)
- Sanofi Pasteur Pentacel (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Inactivated Polio, Haemophilus B combined)
- Sanofi Pasteur Quadracel (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Polio combined)
- MCM Vaccine Company VAXELIS (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Inactivated Polio, Haemophilus b conjugate, Hepatitis B combined)
- Sanofi Pasteur Adacel Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis combined)
- GlaxoSmithKline Boostrix (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis combined)
- DPT: A Shot in the Dark by Harris L. Coulter and Barbara Loe Fisher (Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1985; Warner, 1986; Avery 1991; Penguin Books)
- Vaccines, Autism & Chronic Inflammation: The New Epidemic by Barbara Loe Fisher (2008)
World Health Organization
- The Immunologic Basis for Immunization Series: Module 4 Pertussis
Selected Medical Literature
- Guerra FA, Blatter MM et al. Safety and immunogenicity of a pentavalent vaccine compared with separate administration of licensed equivalent vaccines in US infants and toddlers and persistence of antibodies before a preschool booster dose: a randomized, clinical trial. Pediatrics Jan. 2009;123(1):301-312.
- Warfel JM, Zimmerman LI, Merkel TJ. Acellular pertussis vaccines protect against disease but fail to prevent infection and transmission in a nonhuman primate model. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2014; 111(2): 787–792.
- Tavernise S. Whooping Cough Study May Offer Clue on Surge. The New York Times. Nov. 25, 2013.
- Cherry JD. Why Do Pertussis Vaccines Fail? Pediatrics 2012; 129(5).
- Madge N. Diamond J, Miller D, Ross E, et al. The National Childhood Encephalopathy Study: A 10-Year Follow-Up. A report of the medical, social, behavioral, and educational outcomes after serious, acute neurological illness in early childhood. Dev Med Child Neurol July 1993;68:35:1-118
- Geier DA, Geier MR. Clinical implications of endotoxin concentrations in vaccines. Ann Pharmacother. May 2002;36(5):776-80.
- Bisgard KM, Rhodes P et al. Pertussis vaccine effectiveness among children 6 to 59 months of age in the United States, 1998-2001. Pediatrics Aug 2005;116(2):e285-94.
- Gold, R. Pertussis: The Disease & the Vaccine. Canadian Family Physician. Jan. 1986; (32): 79-83.
- Grilc E, Pirnat N. Pertussis outbreak in recently vaccinated children in a kindergarten in Ljubljana during a resurgence in pertussis incidence. Eurosurveillance. Aug. 18, 2005; 10 (33).
- Sidney M, Furman BL, Wardlaw AC. Effect of hyperreactivity to endotoxin on the toxicity of pertussis vaccine and pertussis toxin in mice. Vaccine June 1989; 7(3):237-241.
- World Health Organization (WHO). Requirements for Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis 7 Combined Vaccines (Revised 1989). Technical Report Series, No) 500. 1990.
- Steinman L, Weiss A et al. Pertussis toxin is required for pertussis vaccine encephalopathy. Proc Natl Acad Sci Dec. 1985; 82(24) 8733-8736.
- Hofstetter HH, Shive CL, Forsthuber TC. Pertussis Toxin Modulates the Immune Response to Neuroantigens Injected in Incomplete Freund’s Adjuvant: Induction of Th1 Cells and Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis in the Presence of High Frequencies of Th2 Cells. The Journal of Immunology 2002. 169: 117-125.
- Matthias J, Pritchard S, Martin SW et al. Sustained Transmission of Pertussis in Vaccinated, 1–5-Year-Old Children in a Preschool, Florida, USA Emerg Infect Dis. Jan. 15, 2016.
- Klein NP, Bartless S, Fireman B, Baxter R. Waning Tdap Effectiveness in Adolescents. Pediatrics Feb. 3, 2016; 137 (3): e20153326.
- Gupta RK, Relyveid EH. Adverse reactions after injection of adsorbed diptheria – pertussis – tetanus (DPT) vaccine are not due only to pertussis organisms or pertussis components in the vaccine. Vaccine Oct. 1991; 9 (10): 699-702.
- Bergfors E, Trollfors B, Inerot A. Unexpectedly high incidence of persistent itching nodules and delayed hypersensitivity to aluminum in children after the use of adsorbed vaccines from a single manufacturer. Vaccine Dec. 8, 2003; 22(1): 64-69.
- Rimaniol AC, Gras G et al. Aluminum hydroxide adjuvant induces macrophage differentiation towards a specialized antigen-presenting cell type. Vaccine Aug. 13, 2004. 22 (23-24): 3127-3135.
- Mooi FR, vanLoo IHM, King AJ . Adaptation of Bordetella pertussis to vaccination: A Cause for Its Reemergence? Emerg Infect Dis 2001; 7(3): 526-528.
- Srugo I, Benilevi D et al. Pertussis Infection in Fully Vaccinated Children in Day-Care Centers, Israel. Emerg Infect Dis. Sep-Oct 2000; 6(5): 526–529.
- Brooks DA, Clover R. Pertussis Infection in the United States: Role for Vaccination of Adolescents and Adults. J Am Board Fam Med. Nov-Dec 2006;19(6):603-11.
- Kheief N, Danve B et al. Bordetella pertussis and Bordetella parapertussis: two immunologically distinct species. Infect Immun. Feb 1993; 61(2): 486–490.
- He Q, Vijanen MK et al. Whooping Cough Caused by Bordetella pertussis and Bordetella parapertussis in an Immunized Population. JAMA. 1998; 280: 635-637.
- Liese JG, Renner C. et al. Clinical and epidemiological picture of B pertussis and B parapertussis infections after introduction of acellular pertussis vaccines. Arch Dis Child. Aug 2003;88(8):684-7.
- Weeks C Pertussis vaccine offers little protection after seven years: study. The Globe and Mail. Sep. 26, 2016.
- Preston A. Bordetella pertussis: the intersection of genomics and pathobiology. CMAJ. Jul 5 2005; 173(1): 55–62.
- Stainer DW, Scholte MJ. A simple chemically defined medium for the production of phase I Bordetella pertussis. J Gen Microbiol. Oct 1970;63(2):211-20.
- Miller E, Farrington CP. The Current Epidemiology of Pertussis in the Developed World: UK and West Germany Tokai J Exp Clin 1988; 13 Suppl: 97-101.
- Institutes of Medicine. DPT Vaccine and Chronic Nervous Dysfunction: A New Analysis. Washington, DC. The National Academy Press. 1994.
IMPORTANT NOTE: NVIC encourages you to become fully informed about Pertussis and the Pertussis vaccine by reading all sections in the Table of Contents , which contain many links and resources such as the manufacturer product information inserts, and to speak with one or more trusted health care professionals before making a vaccination decision for yourself or your child. This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice.