Explore FREE downloadable educational materials.
Bibliography & Resource Links
Manufacturer Product Information Inserts:
- GlaxoSmithKline Infanrix (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis combined)
- Sanofi Pasteur DAPTACEL (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis combined)
- GlaxoSmithKline Pediarix (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Hepatitis B, Inactivated Polio combined)
- GlaxoSmithKline KINRIX (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Inactivated Polio combined)
- Sanofi Pasteur Pentacel (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Inactivated Polio, Haemophilus B combined)
- Sanofi Pasteur Quadracel (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Polio combined)
- MCM Vaccine Company VAXELIS (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Inactivated Polio, Haemophilus b conjugate, Hepatitis B combined)
- Sanofi Pasteur Adacel Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis combined)
- GlaxoSmithKline Boostrix (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis combined)
- DPT: A Shot in the Dark by Harris L. Coulter and Barbara Loe Fisher (Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1985; Warner, 1986; Avery 1991; Penguin Books)
- Vaccines, Autism & Chronic Inflammation: The New Epidemic by Barbara Loe Fisher (2008)
World Health Organization
- WHO Statistics on Pertussis – Immunization Surveillance, Assessment & Monitoring - July 15, 2019
- The Immunologic Basis for Immunization Series: Module 4 Pertussis
Selected Medical Literature
- Guerra FA, Blatter MM et al. Safety and immunogenicity of a pentavalent vaccine compared with separate administration of licensed equivalent vaccines in US infants and toddlers and persistence of antibodies before a preschool booster dose: a randomized, clinical trial. Pediatrics. 2009 Jan;123(1):301-312
- Warfel JM, Zimmerman LI, Merkel TJ. Acellular pertussis vaccines protect against disease but fail to prevent infection and transmission in a nonhuman primate model. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2014; 111(2): 787–792
- Tavernise S. Whooping Cough Study May Offer Clue on Surge. The New York Times. Nov. 25, 2013
- Cherry JD. Why Do Pertussis Vaccines Fail? Pediatrics 2012; 129(5).
- Madge N. Diamond J, Miller D, Ross E, et al. The National Childhood Encephalopathy Study: A 10-Year Follow-Up. A report of the medical, social, behavioral, and educational outcomes after serious, acute neurological illness in early childhood. Dev Med Child Neurol 193;68:35:1-118
- Geier DA, Geier MR. Clinical implications of endotoxin concentrations in vaccines. Ann Pharmacother. 2002 May;36(5):776-80.
- Bisgard KM, Rhodes P et al. Pertussis vaccine effectiveness among children 6 to 59 months of age in the United States, 1998-2001. Pediatrics.2005 Aug;116(2):e285-94.
- Gold, R. Pertussis: The Disease & the Vaccine. Canadian Family Physician. Vol 32, January 1986, pp. 79-83.
- Grilc E, Pirnat N. Pertussis outbreak in recently vaccinated children in a kindergarten in Ljubljana during a resurgence in pertussis incidence. Eurosurveillance. Vol. 10, Issue 33. 18 August 2005.
- Sidney M, Furman BL, Wardlaw AC. Effect of hyperreactivity to endotoxin on the toxicity of pertussis vaccine and pertussis toxin in mice. Vaccine. Vol. 7, Issue 3. June 1989. Pages 237-241.
- World Health Organization (WHO). Requirements for Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis 7 Combined Vaccines (Revised 1989). Technical Report Series, No) 500. 1990.
- Steinman L, Weiss A et al. Pertussis toxin is required for pertussis vaccine encephalopathy. Proc Natl Acad Sci, 1985. December; 82(24) 8733-8736.
- Hofstetter HH, Shive CL, Forsthuber TC. Pertussis Toxin Modulates the Immune Response to Neuroantigens Injected in Incomplete Freund’s Adjuvant: Induction of Th1 Cells and Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis in the Presence of High Frequencies of Th2 Cells. The Journal of Immunology 2002. 169: 117-125.
- Matthias J, Pritchard S, Martin SW et al. Sustained Transmission of Pertussis in Vaccinated, 1–5-Year-Old Children in a Preschool, Florida, USA Emerg Infect Dis. Jan. 15, 2016.
- Klein NP, Bartless S, Fireman B, Baxter R. Waning Tdap Effectiveness in Adolescents. Pediatrics Feb. 3, 2016.
- Gupta RK, Relyveid EH. Adverse reactions after injection of adsorbed diptheria – pertussis – tetanus (DPT) vaccine are not due only to pertussis organisms or pertussis components in the vaccine. Vaccine. Vol. 9, Issue 10. October 1991. Pages 699-702.
- Bergfors E, Trollfors B, Inerot A. Unexpectedly high incidence of persistent itching nodules and delayed hypersensitivity to aluminum in children after the use of adsorbed vaccines from a single manufacturer. Vaccine. Vol. 22, Issue 1. December 8, 2003. Pages 64-69.
- Rimaniol AC, Gras G et al. Aluminum hydroxide adjuvant induces macrophage differentiation towards a specialized antigen-presenting cell type. Vaccine. Vol. 22, Issues 23-24. 13 August 2004. Pages 3127-3135.
- Mooi FR, vanLoo IHM, King AJ . Adaptation of Bordetella pertussis to vaccination: A Cause for Its Reemergence? Emerg Infect Dis 2001; 7(3): 526-528.
- Srugo I, Benilevi D et al. Pertussis Infection in Fully Vaccinated Children in Day-Care Centers, Israel. Emerg Infect Dis. 2000 Sep-Oct; 6(5): 526–529.
- Brooks DA, Clover R. Pertussis Infection in the United States: Role for Vaccination of Adolescents and Adults. J Am Board Fam Med. 2006 Nov-Dec;19(6):603-11.
- Kheief N, Danve B et al. Bordetella pertussis and Bordetella parapertussis: two immunologically distinct species. Infect Immun. 1993 Feb; 61(2): 486–490.
- He Q, Vijanen MK et al. Whooping Cough Caused by Bordetella pertussis and Bordetella parapertussis in an Immunized Population. JAMA. 1998; 280: 635-637.
- Liese JG, Renner C. et al. Clinical and epidemiological picture of B pertussis and B parapertussis infections after introduction of acellular pertussis vaccines. Arch Dis Child. 2003 Aug;88(8):684-7.
- Weeks C Pertussis vaccine offers little protection after seven years: study. The Globe and Mail. Sep. 26, 2016
- Preston A. Bordetella pertussis: the intersection of genomics and pathobiology. CMAJ. 2005 Jul 5; 173(1): 55–62.
- Stainer DW, Scholte MJ. A simple chemically defined medium for the production of phase I Bordetella pertussis. J Gen Microbiol. 1970 Oct;63(2):211-20.
- Miller E, Farrington CP. The Current Epidemiology of Pertussis in the Developed World: UK and West Germany Tokai J Exp Clin 1988; 13 Suppl: 97-101
- Institutes of Medicine. DPT Vaccine and Chronic Nervous Dysfunction: A New Analysis. Washington, DC. The National Academy Press. 1994
IMPORTANT NOTE: NVIC encourages you to become fully informed about Pertussis and the Pertussis vaccine by reading all sections in the Table of Contents , which contain many links and resources such as the manufacturer product information inserts, and to speak with one or more trusted health care professionals before making a vaccination decision for yourself or your child. This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice.