Vaccine Injury Compensation
NVIC's co-founders worked with Congress on the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986, which acknowledged that vaccine injuries and deaths are real and that the vaccine injured and their families should be financially supported and that vaccine safety protections were needed in the mass vaccination system.
The law preserved the right for vaccine injured persons to bring a lawsuit in the court system if federal compensation is denied or is not sufficient. By 2022, the U.S. Court of Claims had almost $5 billion dollars to vaccine victims for their catastrophic vaccine injuries, although two out of three applicants have been denied compensation.
We invite you to learn more about vaccine injury compensation and how to file a vaccine injury claim, and to explore links and resources provided below to aid those who believe that they have suffered a vaccine injury and to raise awareness of the federal vaccine injury compensation program (VICP).
Below are resource links to information to assist in understanding how vaccine injury compensation is governed by federal law, key rulings and proceedings impacting vaccine injury compensation, and more.
- Overview of the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986
- The Original Law & Amended Law - National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986
- Answers to Frequently Asked Vaccine Injury Compensation Questions
- The National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program Website
- Obtaining Legal Representation for Vaccine Injury Claims
- Omnibus Autism Proceeding
- NVIC Supreme Court Amicus Brief – Brueswitz vs. Wyeth 2010
- Position of the National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC) on National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986 - February 2018 Update by Barbara Loe Fisher
- National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC) Renews Call for End to Product Liability Shield for Vaccine Manufacturers During 2016 Vaccine Awareness Week
Press Release, November 14, 2016
- Request for ACCV to Reconsider Encephalopathy Definition Recommendation Relating to the Vaccine Injury Table - Advisory Commission on Childhood Vaccines, August 27, 2014 by Barbara Loe Fisher and Theresa Wrangham
- NVIC Response on Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP) Review by GAO - June 11, 2014 by Barbara Loe Fisher, Kathi Williams and Theresa Wrangham
- National Vaccine Information Center Cites “Betrayal” of Consumers by U.S. Supreme Court Giving Total Liability Shield to Big Pharma - Press Release, February 23, 2011
- The Vaccine Injury Compensation Program: A Failed Experiment in Tort Reform? - Advisory Commission on Childhood Vaccines, November 18, 2008 by Barbara Loe Fisher,
- Vaccine Safety Research Priorities: Engaging the Public. - National Vaccine Advisory Committee Vaccine Safety Working Group, April 11, 2008 by Barbara Loe Fisher,
- NVIC Asks For Simple Justice For Vaccine Injured Children - Press Release, September 27, 2001
- Compensating Vaccine Injuries: Are Reforms Needed? - Congressional Testimony, September 28, 1999
- Vaccine Injury Compensation: Most Claims Took Multiple Years and Many Were Settled Through Negotiation. Government Accountability Office (GAO) Nov. 21, 2014.
- Vaccine case draws new attention to autism debate CNN-TV News March 7, 2008
- Vaccine Injury Claims Face Grueling Fight Los Angeles Times, November 29, 2004
- Chaos Theory--Mystery of Unintended Consequences Affects Your Civil Liberties by John Hanchette Niagara Falls Reporter, January 28, 2002