Explore FREE downloadable educational materials.
Additional Bibliography of References
Manufacturer Product Information Inserts:
- Merck Pneumovax 23 - Pneumococcal Vaccine, Polyvalent
- Wyeth/Pzifer Pneumococcal 13-valent Conjugate Vaccine (Diphtheria CRM197 Protein)
World Health Organization
- Pneumococcal disease (Sept. 29, 2014)
Selected Media Articles
- Masoud Z Serotype Replacement in Childhood Invasive Pneumococcal Disease Pulmonology Advisor 12, 2019
- Crawford C ACIP Approves New Guidance on HPV, Pneumococcal Vaccines AAFP 3, 2019
- Sagonowsky, E Racing with Merck, Pfizer wins FDA 'breakthrough' tag for 20-valent pneumococcal vaccine. Fierce Pharma. 20, 2018
- Bender, K Pneumococcal Colonization Adapts to Vaccination, Antibiotics. MD Magazine. 1, 2017
- MenghaneyL, Pfizer patent for pneumonia drug could have a deadly impact on public health. Hindustan Times. Aug 28, 2017
- Hamblin, J Why Doctors Without Borders Refused a Million Free Vaccines - The climax of a standoff with the pharmaceutical industry over high prices. The Atlantic. 14, 2016
- Cimons, M I got a pneumonia shot — and then the pain began. The Washington Post. 26, 2015
- Associated Press. Shot may be inadvertently boosting superbugs. NBC News 17, 2007
- Ladhani SN, Collins S, Djennad A et al.Rapid increase in non-vaccine serotypes causing invasive pneumococcal disease in England and Wales, 2000-17: a prospective national observational cohort study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2018 Apr; 18(4):441-451.
- Makwana A, Ladhani SN, Kapatai G, et al. Rapid Spread of Pneumococcal Nonvaccine Serotype 7C Previously Associated with Vaccine Serotype 19F, England and Wales. Emerg Infect Dis. 2018; 24(10):1919-1922.
- Weinberger DM, Richard Malley R, Lipsitch M Serotype replacement in disease following pneumococcal vaccination: A discussion of the evidence 2011 Dec 3; 378(9807): 1962–1973.
- Hausdorff WP, Hanage WP Interim results of an ecological experiment — Conjugate vaccination against the pneumococcus and serotype replacement Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2016 Feb; 12(2): 358–374.
- Southern J, Andrews N, Sandu P et al. Pneumococcal carriage in children and their household contacts six years after introduction of the 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in England. PLoS One. 2018 May 25;13(5):e0195799
- Tan TQ. Pediatric Invasive Pneumococcal Disease in the United States in the Era of Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccines. Clinical Microbiology Review. 2012 July; 25(3): 409-419.
- Muñoz-Almagro C, Jordan I, Gene A, et al. Emergence of invasive pneumococcal disease caused by nonvaccine serotypes in the era of 7-valent conjugate vaccine. Clin Infect Dis. 2008 Jan 15;46(2):174-82
- Lee GM, Kleinman K, Pelton S et al. Immunization, Antibiotic Use, and Pneumococcal Colonization Over a 15-Year Period. 2017 Nov;140(5).
- Lee LH, Gu XX, Nahm MH Towards New Broader Spectrum Pneumococcal Vaccines: The Future of Pneumococcal Disease Prevention Vaccines (Basel). 2014 Mar; 2(1): 112–128
- Su LH, Kuo AJ, Chia JH et al. Evolving pneumococcal serotypes and sequence types in relation to high antibiotic stress and conditional pneumococcal immunization Sci Rep. 2015; 5: 15843.
- Choe YJ, Lee HJ, Lee H et al. Emergence of antibiotic-resistant non-vaccine serotype pneumococci in nasopharyngeal carriage in children after the use of extended-valency pneumococcal conjugate vaccines in Korea. 2016 Sep 14;34(40):4771-6.
- Tin Tin Htar M, Christopoulou D, Schmitt HJ Pneumococcal serotype evolution in Western Europe. BMC Infect Dis. 2015; 15: 419.
- Tse A, Tseng HF, Greene SK, et al. Signal identification and evaluation for risk of febrile seizures in children following trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine in the Vaccine Safety Datalink Project, 2010-2011. Vaccine. 2012 Mar 2;30(11):2024-31
- Baker M, Jankosky C, Yih K et al. The Risk of Febrile Seizures Following Influenza and 13-Valent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccines. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2017 Fall; 4(Suppl 1): S464–S465.
IMPORTANT NOTE: NVIC encourages you to become fully informed about Pneumococcal and the Pneumococcal vaccine by reading all sections in the Table of Contents , which contain many links and resources such as the manufacturer product information inserts, and to speak with one or more trusted health care professionals before making a vaccination decision for yourself or your child. This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice.