Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic Special Report
This Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic Special NVIC Report published in 2020 and updated in 2021 is a collection of referenced news analyses, opinion essays and video commentaries researched and written by NVIC Co-founder and President Barbara Loe Fisher and published in NVIC’s weekly journal newspaper The Vaccine Reaction or the NVIC Newsletter.
In chronological order, the articles summarize information about major events and articles published in the medical literature and by the media after Chinese government officials announced on Dec. 31, 2019 that 44 patients with pneumonia of “unknown etiology” (unknown cause) had been identified in Wuhan, China.1 By Jan. 30, 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared a “Public Health Emergency of International Concern” after confirming that a mutated coronavirus (COVID-19) was circulating in certain regions of China for which human populations reportedly had no natural immunity.2
On Jan. 31, 2020, the U.S. government declared a public health emergency.3 By the end of March 2020, all 50 states had declared a public health emergency that led to orders by most state Governors for citizens to self-quarantine at home and close businesses, schools, restaurants, shops and malls, churches, parks, beaches, gyms, sports arenas and other public spaces for at least four weeks, although some states extended the “lockdown” to up to 10 weeks.4 In December 2020, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA)5 to Pfizer/BioNTech6 and Moderna/NIAID 7 for two experimental mRNA COVID-19 vaccines to be distributed in the U.S., followed by an EUA issued to Johnson & Johnson/Janssen in February 20218 to distribute an experimental adenovirus vectored vaccine in the U.S.
By Apr. 8, 2021, more than 68,000 adverse event reports following COVID-19 vaccinations, including over 2600 deaths, had been reported to the federal Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS)9 10 created under the 1986 National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act, including high fevers, chills, headache, joint and muscle aching, disabling fatigue, cardiac and respiratory arrest, blood clots 11 and bleeding disorders, sudden death, seizures and neurological dysfunction and other types of adverse health outcomes.
Below are the topics covered by this special report:
The Science: Coronaviruses and COVID-19
- History of Coronaviruses
- COVID-19 Symptoms and Complications
- High Risk Factors for Severe COVID-19
- COVID-19 Mortality Statistics for Different Countries
- Worst-Case Scenario Estimates for Mortality
U.S. Government Response
- Declaration of Public Health Emergency by CDC
- Recommended Precautions for Limiting Exposures
- Social Distancing and Quarantine Measures
- U.S. Federal and State Public Health Emergency Laws
- U.S. Military Preparations to Execute Pandemic Plan
- Infection and Antibody Testing for COVID-19
- Delay in Testing for COVID-19 in U.S.
- Shortage of U.S. Pandemic Preparedness Supplies
Fast Tracking of COVID-19 Vaccines Other Related Topics
- Origin of New Mutated Coronavirus
- Response of Chinese Government to COVID-19 Outbreak
- COVID-19 Outbreaks on Cruise Ships
- Oct. 19, 2019 Coronavirus Pandemic Simulation Exercise
- Coronavirus Research in Biohazard Labs
- Impact of COVID-19 Quarantines on U.S. & World Economy
- Loss of Civil Liberties, Challenges to Ethical Principles
- Fast-Track Development of COVID-19 Vaccines
NVIC Cononavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic Special Report
- PART 1 - Coronavirus Vaccines on Fast Track As WHO Declares Global Public Health Emergency Feb. 5, 2020.
- PART 2 - Chinese Taken From Homes by Police to Coronavirus Quarantine Camps Feb. 12, 2020.
- PART 3 - U.S. Marines and Navy Prepare to Execute Pandemic Plan As Questions Resurface About Coronavirus Origin Feb. 20, 2020.
- PART 4 - Unprecedented Response to COVID-19 by Governments Prohibits Physical Contact and Cripples World Economy Mar. 29, 2020.
- PART 5 - COVID-19 Meltdown and Pharma’s Big Money Win. Apr. 13, 2020.
- PART 6 - How Fear of a Virus Changed Our World. June 4, 2020.
- PART 7 - Seeing Through the COVID-19 Spin. Apr. 26, 2021.
- PART 8 - Forced Vaccination Was Always the End Game, Sept. 28, 2021.
- PART 9 - What Mothers Should Know About COVID and COVID-19 Vaccine for Children. Mar. 7, 2022.
- PART 10 - U.S .Becomes First Country to Give mRNA COVID Vaccine to Babies. June 23, 2022.
As new developments and broader public conversations about U.S. and global responses to COVID-19 take place, additional news analyses periodically will be added to this referenced special report on COVID-19. To learn more about SARS-Cov-2, COVID-19 disease, COVID-19 vaccines and public health policy and law related to the coronavirus pandemic, readers are encouraged to click on references anchoring essays in the articles of this report, which contain substantive information from many different original sources.
IMPORTANT NOTE: NVIC encourages you to become fully informed about covid-19 and the covid-19 vaccine by reading all sections in the Table of Contents, which contain many links and resources such as the manufacturer product information inserts, and to speak with one or more trusted health care professionals before making a vaccination decision for yourself or your child. This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice.
2 World Health Organization. WHO declares the new coronavirus outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern. Jan. 30, 2020.
4 Virginia Governor Ralph Northam. Temporary Stay at Home Order Due to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). March 30, 2020 to June10, 2020
5 U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Emergency Use Authorization for Vaccines Explained. Nov. 20, 2020.
6 U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Local Reactions, Systemic Reactions, Adverse Events and Serious Adverse Events: Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine. Dec. 13, 2020.
11 Goldstein S. Blood clots prevalent with Pfizer and Moderna Vaccine as with Astra Zeneca’s study. Dow Jones/Market Watch Apr. 16, 2021.