Explore FREE downloadable educational materials.
Additional Bibliography of References
- Conway JJ, Toresdahl BG, Ling DI et al. Prevalence of Inadequate Immunity to Measles, Mumps, Rubella, and Varicella in MLB and NBA Athletes. Sports Health. 2018 Sep/Oct;10(5):406-411
- Goldman GS The US Universal Varicella Vaccination Program: CDC Censorship of Adverse Public Health Consequences. Ann Clin Pathol. 2018 Mar; 6(2): 1133
- Marchetti S, Guzzetta G, Flem E et al. Modeling the impact of combined vaccination programs against varicella and herpes zoster in Norway. Vaccine. 2018 Feb 14;36(8):1116-1125
- Duncan JR, Witkop CT, Webber BJ, Costello AA Varicella seroepidemiology in United States air force recruits: A retrospective cohort study comparing immunogenicity of varicella vaccination and natural infection. Vaccine. 2017 Apr 25;35(18):2351-2357
- Van Lier A, Lugnér A, Opstelten W et al. Distribution of Health Effects and Cost-effectiveness of Varicella Vaccination are Shaped by the Impact on Herpes Zoster. EBioMedicine. 2015 Aug 8;2(10):1494-9.
- Goldman GS, King PG Vaccination to prevent varicella: Goldman and King's response to Myers' interpretation of Varicella Active Surveillance Project data. Hum Exp Toxicol. 2014 Aug; 33(8): 886–893. 168573500
- Leung J, Siegel S, Jones JF et al Fatal varicella due to the vaccine-strain varicella-zoster virus Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2014 Jan 1; 10(1): 146–149.
- Goldman GS, King PG. Review of the United States universal varicella vaccination program: Herpes zoster incidence rates, cost-effectiveness, and vaccine efficacy based primarily on the Antelope Valley Varicella Active Surveillance Project data. Vaccine. 2013 Mar 25;31(13):1680-94.
- Kluthe M, Herrera A, Blanca H et al. Neonatal vaccine-strain varicella-zoster virus infection 22 days after maternal postpartum vaccination. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2012 Sep;31(9):977-9.
- O'Leary ST, Glanz JM, McClure DL et al. The risk of immune thrombocytopenic purpura after vaccination in children and adolescents. Pediatrics. 2012 Feb;129(2):248-55
- Patel MS, Gebremariam A, Davis MM. Herpes zoster-related hospitalizations and expenditures before and after introduction of the varicella vaccine in the United States. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2008 Dec;29(12):1157-63
- Lopez AS, Guris D, Zimmerman L et al. One dose of varicella vaccine does not prevent school outbreaks: is it time for a second dose? Pediatrics. 2006 Jun;117(6):e1070-7.
- Goldman GS Universal varicella vaccination: efficacy trends and effect on herpes zoster. Int J Toxicol. 2005 Jul-Aug; 24(4):205-13
- Yih WK, Brooks DR, Lett SM, et al. The incidence of varicella and herpes zoster in Massachusetts as measured by the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) during a period of increasing varicella vaccine coverage, 1998-2003. BMC Public Health. 2005 Jun 16; 5:68.
- Welsby PD Chickenpox, chickenpox vaccination, and shingles Postgrad Med J. 2006 May; 82(967): 351–352.
- Lee BR, Feaver SL, Miller CA et al. An elementary school outbreak of varicella attributed to vaccine failure: policy implications. J Infect Dis. 2004 Aug 1;190(3):477-83
- Galil K, Lee B, Strine T et al. Outbreak of varicella at a day-care center despite vaccination. N Engl J Med. 2002 Dec 12; 347(24):1909-15.
- Brisson M, Gay NJ, Edmunds WJ et al. Exposure to varicella boosts immunity to herpes-zoster: implications for mass vaccination against chickenpox. Vaccine. 2002 Jun 7;20(19-20):2500-7.
- Edmunds WJ, Brisson M. The effect of vaccination on the epidemiology of varicella zoster virus. J Infect. 2002 May; 44(4):211-9.
IMPORTANT NOTE: NVIC encourages you to become fully informed about Chickenpox and the Chickenpox vaccine by reading all sections in the Table of Contents , which contain many links and resources such as the manufacturer product information inserts, and to speak with one or more trusted health care professionals before making a vaccination decision for yourself or your child. This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice.