Ask 8 Information Kiosk
Explore FREE downloadable educational materials.
Report Your Vaccine Experiences
Read and report vaccine reactions, harassment and failures.
Additional Bibliography of References
Updated February 02, 2023
- Conway JJ, Toresdahl BG, Ling DI et al. Prevalence of Inadequate Immunity to Measles, Mumps, Rubella, and Varicella in MLB and NBA Athletes. Sports Health. 2018 Sep/Oct;10(5):406-411
- Goldman GS The US Universal Varicella Vaccination Program: CDC Censorship of Adverse Public Health Consequences. Ann Clin Pathol. 2018 Mar; 6(2): 1133
- Marchetti S, Guzzetta G, Flem E et al. Modeling the impact of combined vaccination programs against varicella and herpes zoster in Norway. Vaccine. 2018 Feb 14;36(8):1116-1125
- Duncan JR, Witkop CT, Webber BJ, Costello AA Varicella seroepidemiology in United States air force recruits: A retrospective cohort study comparing immunogenicity of varicella vaccination and natural infection. Vaccine. 2017 Apr 25;35(18):2351-2357
- Van Lier A, Lugnér A, Opstelten W et al. Distribution of Health Effects and Cost-effectiveness of Varicella Vaccination are Shaped by the Impact on Herpes Zoster. EBioMedicine. 2015 Aug 8;2(10):1494-9.
- Goldman GS, King PG Vaccination to prevent varicella: Goldman and King's response to Myers' interpretation of Varicella Active Surveillance Project data. Hum Exp Toxicol. 2014 Aug; 33(8): 886–893. 168573500
- Leung J, Siegel S, Jones JF et al Fatal varicella due to the vaccine-strain varicella-zoster virus Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2014 Jan 1; 10(1): 146–149.
- Goldman GS, King PG. Review of the United States universal varicella vaccination program: Herpes zoster incidence rates, cost-effectiveness, and vaccine efficacy based primarily on the Antelope Valley Varicella Active Surveillance Project data. Vaccine. 2013 Mar 25;31(13):1680-94.
- Kluthe M, Herrera A, Blanca H et al. Neonatal vaccine-strain varicella-zoster virus infection 22 days after maternal postpartum vaccination. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2012 Sep;31(9):977-9.
- O'Leary ST, Glanz JM, McClure DL et al. The risk of immune thrombocytopenic purpura after vaccination in children and adolescents. Pediatrics. 2012 Feb;129(2):248-55
- Patel MS, Gebremariam A, Davis MM. Herpes zoster-related hospitalizations and expenditures before and after introduction of the varicella vaccine in the United States. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2008 Dec;29(12):1157-63
- Lopez AS, Guris D, Zimmerman L et al. One dose of varicella vaccine does not prevent school outbreaks: is it time for a second dose? Pediatrics. 2006 Jun;117(6):e1070-7.
- Goldman GS Universal varicella vaccination: efficacy trends and effect on herpes zoster. Int J Toxicol. 2005 Jul-Aug; 24(4):205-13
- Yih WK, Brooks DR, Lett SM, et al. The incidence of varicella and herpes zoster in Massachusetts as measured by the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) during a period of increasing varicella vaccine coverage, 1998-2003. BMC Public Health. 2005 Jun 16; 5:68.
- Welsby PD Chickenpox, chickenpox vaccination, and shingles Postgrad Med J. 2006 May; 82(967): 351–352.
- Lee BR, Feaver SL, Miller CA et al. An elementary school outbreak of varicella attributed to vaccine failure: policy implications. J Infect Dis. 2004 Aug 1;190(3):477-83
- Galil K, Lee B, Strine T et al. Outbreak of varicella at a day-care center despite vaccination. N Engl J Med. 2002 Dec 12; 347(24):1909-15.
- Brisson M, Gay NJ, Edmunds WJ et al. Exposure to varicella boosts immunity to herpes-zoster: implications for mass vaccination against chickenpox. Vaccine. 2002 Jun 7;20(19-20):2500-7.
- Edmunds WJ, Brisson M. The effect of vaccination on the epidemiology of varicella zoster virus. J Infect. 2002 May; 44(4):211-9.
IMPORTANT NOTE: NVIC encourages you to become fully informed about Chickenpox and the Chickenpox vaccine by reading all sections in the Table of Contents , which contain many links and resources such as the manufacturer product information inserts, and to speak with one or more trusted health care professionals before making a vaccination decision for yourself or your child. This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice.
Opens in new tab, window
Opens an external site
Opens an external site in new tab, window