Explore FREE downloadable educational materials.
Read and report vaccine reactions, harassment and failures.
Additional Bibliography of References
Manufacturer Product Information Inserts:
- Merck MMRII - Measles, Mumps and Rubella Virus Vaccine, Live
- Merck ProQuad - Measles, Mumps, Rubella and Varicella Virus Vaccine Live
- GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals SA PRIORIX - Measles, Mumps and Rubella Vaccine, Live
Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- McKay SL, Kambui A, Taulung LA, et al. Notes From The Field: Mumps Outbreak in a Recently Vaccinated Population — Kosrae, Federated States of Micronesia, August–December, 2017. MMWR 1, 2019; 68(4):95–96.
- Cervantes D, Honza H, Lynch D, et al. Notes from the Field: Mumps Outbreak Associated with Cheerleading Competitions — North Texas, December 2016–February 2017. MMWR 2018;67(36);1019–1020.
- Bonwitt J, Kawakami V, Wharton A, et al. Notes from the Field: Absence of Asymptomatic Mumps Virus Shedding Among Vaccinated College Students During a Mumps Outbreak — Washington, February–June 2017. MMWR 2017;66:1307-1308.
- Donahue M, Schneider A, Ukegbu U, et al. Complications of Mumps During a University Outbreak Among Students Who Had Received 2 Doses of Measles-Mumps-Rubella Vaccine — Iowa, July 2015–May 2016.MMWR 2017;66(14):390-391.
- Albertson JP, Clegg WJ, Reid HD, et al. Mumps Outbreak at a University and Recommendation for a Third Dose of Measles-Mumps-Rubella Vaccine – Illinois, 2015-2016. MMWR 2016;65(29):731-4.
- US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Mumps outbreak on a university campus—California, 2011. MMWR 2012;61(48):986-9.
- US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Update: mumps outbreak — New York and New Jersey, June 2009–January 2010. MMWR 2009;59(05):125-9.
- US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Mumps outbreak — New York, New Jersey, Quebec, 2009. MMWR 2009;58(45):1270-4.
- US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Update: multistate outbreak of mumps — United States, January 1-May 2, 2006. MMWR 2006;55(20):559-63.
- US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Mumps epidemic — Iowa, 2006. MMWR 2006;55(13):366-8.
- CDC Press Briefing on Mumps Outbreak In the Midwest with Dr. Julie Gerberding, and Dr. Jane Seward - April 2006
- US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Mumps outbreak at a summer camp — New York, 2005. MMWR 2006;55(07):175-7.
- US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Mumps epidemic — United Kingdom, 2004-2005. MMWR 2006;55(07):173-5.
Selected Media Articles
- Mulder JT. Syracuse University mumps outbreak: Whistleblowers say vaccine is flawed. com Nov. 14, 2017 (updated Jan. 4, 2019)
- Pierson M. Merck accused of stonewalling in mumps vaccine antitrust lawsuit. Reuters Jun 4, 2015.
- Melkie J. Rise in mumps cases linked to waning immunity given by MMR vaccine.The Guardian Jul 4, 2013.
- Koleva G, Merck Whistleblower Suit A Boon to Vaccine Foes Even As It Stresses Importance of Vaccines. Forbes 27, 2012.
- Fields VS, Safi H, Waters C et al. Mumps in a highly vaccinated Marshallese community in Arkansas, USA: an outbreak report. Lancet Infect Dis. February 2019;19(2):185-192.
- Veneti L, Borgen K, Borge KS et al. Large outbreak of mumps virus genotype G among vaccinated students in Norway, 2015 to 2016. Euro Surveill. September 2018;23(38):
- Principi N, Esposito S. Mumps outbreaks: A problem in need of solutions. J Infect June 2018;76(6):503-506.
- Lewnard JA, Grad, YH Vaccine waning and mumps re-emergence in the United States Sci Transl Med. March 2018; 10(433): eaao5945.
- Fiebelkorn AP, Coleman LA, Belongia EA et al. Mumps antibody response in young adults after a third dose of measles-mumps-rubella vaccine. Open Forum Infect Dis. October 2014;1(3):ofu094.
- Nelson GE, Aguon A, Valencia E, et al. Epidemiology of a mumps outbreak in a highly vaccinated island population and use of a third dose of measles-mumps-rubella vaccine for outbreak control--Guam 2009 to 2010. Pediatr Infect Dis J. April 2013;32(4):374-80.
- Choi KM. Reemergence of mumps. Korean J Pediatr May 2010; 53(5): 623–628.
- Anderson LJ, Seward JF. Mumps epidemiology and immunity: the anatomy of a modern epidemic. Pediatr Infect Dis J. October 2008;27(10 Suppl):S75-9.
- Asatryan A, Pool V, Chen RT, et al. Live attenuated measles and mumps viral strain-containing vaccines and hearing loss: Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), United States, 1990--2003. Vaccine February 2008; 26(9):1166-72.
- Dayan GH, Quinlisk MP, Parker AA et al. Recent resurgence of mumps in the United States. N Engl J Med. April 2008;358(15):1580-9.
- Dayan GH, Rubin S. Mumps outbreaks in vaccinated populations: are available mumps vaccines effective enough to prevent outbreaks? Infect. Dis. December 2008; 47: 1458–1467.
- Bakshi N, Lawson J, Hanson R, et al. Fatal Mumps Meningoencephalitis in a Child With Severe Combined Immunodeficiency After Bone Marrow Transplantation J Child Neurol 11(2): 159-162.
- Geier, MR., Geier DA. Pediatric MMR vaccination safety. Int Pediatr. February 2003;18(2):203-208.
- Miller E, Goldacre M, Pugh S et al. Risk of aseptic meningitis after measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine in UK children. Lancet April 1993;341(8851):979-82.
- Nabe-Nielsen J, Walter B. Unilateral total deafness as a complication of the measles-mumps-rubella vaccination. Scand Audiol Suppl 1988;30:69-70.
- Stewart BJ, Prabhu PU, Reports of sensorineural deafness after measles, mumps, and rubella immunisation. Arch Dis Child July 1993; 69(1): 153–154.
- Otten A, Helmke K, Stief T, et al. Mumps, mumps vaccination, islet cell antibodies and the first manifestation of diabetes mellitus type I. Behring Inst Mitt July 1984;(75):83-8.
- Poling JS, Frye RE, Shoffner J, et al. Developmental Regression and Mitochondrial Dysfunction in a Child With Autism J Child Neurol February 2006; 21(2): 170–172.
- Sinaniotis CA, Daskalopoulou E, Lapatsanis P, et al. Letter: Diabetes mellitus after mumps vaccination. Arch Dis Child September 1975; 50(9): 749–750.
- MacDonald SE, Dover DC, Simmonds KA, et al. Risk of febrile seizures after first dose of measles–mumps–rubella–varicella vaccine: a population-based cohort study. CMAJ August 2014; 186(11): 824–829.
- Ma SJ, Xiong YQ, Jiang LN et al. Risk of febrile seizure after measles-mumps-rubella-varicella vaccine: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Vaccine July 2015;33(31):3636-49.
IMPORTANT NOTE: NVIC encourages you to become fully informed about Mumps and the Mumps vaccine by reading all sections in the Table of Contents, which contain many links and resources such as the manufacturer product information inserts, and to speak with one or more trusted health care professionals before making a vaccination decision for yourself or your child. This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice.